Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-04-2020 @ 05:52 PM

Concept 2 rowing machine... Anybody use one?

This rowing machine is my favourite form of exercise in the gym. Maybe it is because I can sit down and listen to music while trying to get fit at the same time.

So... If anybody uses one what kind of times and distances are you getting?

I only use it when I'm offshore and can see a definite improvement in my times throughout the 5 week stint using it. Then it all goes out the window when I get back onshore and eat and drink too much.

My best times this trip (and this year so far);

2000m - 7:25.7
    5000m - 19:32.3
    30 mins - 7522m

If nobody else uses one then I would like to declare myself Teakdoor champion on the Concept 2.

Here is a picture of one with a blart sat on it:

I'm not in jail...3-2-1. Jack meoff's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Have you pulled any Blarts on it yet?

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    I know someone who is looking for one where did you get yours?

I've go an older one downstairs but I'm not giving him that one. Sadly the electronics is shot so I cannot compare times.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^^ No.. but I have pulled a muscle on it.

I knew this would be a long shot as most Teak Door members probably resemble this:

Or this:

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    I've owned one for years (I ordered a Model 'D' from the States- it cost around 45K with shipping and import duty to get it to LOS), and my best times are similar to yours (though I have a best monthly total of over 1,200,000 meters- not many people have beaten that- my butt ached for weeks afterward).

I am approaching 10,000,000 lifetime meters and will hit it in a couple of months.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    I know someone who is looking for one where did you get yours?

I've go an older one downstairs but I'm not giving him that one. Sadly the electronics is shot so I cannot compare times.
    I haven't got one. Just using the one in the boats gym that I'm working on.

Would like one at home but I think they are about £1000 and have never seen them for sale in Thailand. And due to me usually getting lazy when I'm home it would probably just gather dust.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    I've owned one for years (I ordered a Model 'D' from the States- it cost around 45K with shipping and import duty to get it to LOS), and my best times are similar to yours (though I have a best monthly total of over 1,200,000 meters- not many people have beaten that- my butt ached for weeks afterward).

I am approaching 10,000,000 lifetime meters and will hit it in a couple of months.
    I would never manage anything like that monthly figure... That's averaging 40000 metres per day. I am shattered after reaching 7500m on a 30 minute session.

My best times ever are better than the ones posted above but they were achieved about 8 years ago (I'm 40 now).

Best ever:
    2000m - 7:12
    5000m - 18:59

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    I was competing in the holiday challenge they have every year (it's for total meters in 31 days)- I finished 8th out of over 20,000 people- it was the most brutal physical challenge I've ever undertaken- I had a couple of days over 50K meters, and never less than 35K (500m splits were slow- I think my average for the month was ~2.15- there was no way to keep up a faster pace and still row that kind of distance- I lost several kilos even though I was eating like a horse to keep my energy levels up).

I still row nearly everyday, usually at 5:30am before breakfast to get my cardio in when my glycogen levels are at their lowest.

7.12 for 2K is very good- I think my best is ~7.25.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ Good stuff. Was that a challenge on the Concept 2 website? I used to look at times posted on there then realised how slow I actually was.

What level do you put the dampener? - I try and keep it at about 7 but I know that they recommend about 3 or 4 for it to feel more like real rowing. That would mean me having to increase the spm too much and would knacker me quicker. Usually my spm is about 27/28.

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins
    What level do you put the dampener? - I try and keep it at about 7 but I know that they recommend about 3 or 4 for it to feel more like real rowing.
    The numbers on the dampener don't correspond to a specific drag factor (which varies by sea level, humidity, and other factors like the amount of wear or dust on the flywheel)- you can check your actual drag level via the monitor (there's a utilities section)- I usually row at a drag factor of ~125, which corresponds to just above level 5 on my machine (yours of course will probably vary somewhat)- my SPM is usually ~30- if I go for a personal best in a 2K my drag factor and stroke rate will increase.

I'm not in jail...3-2-1. Jack meoff's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    If you set the drag level really low can you make it rear up like a horse?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^^ Thanks for that info - I'll check out what my drag factor is for the settings I am comfortable with next time I use it.

I prefer a stronger pull over a faster stroke rate ( if that makes sense ).

Do you think that the height of a person can make much of a difference? - taller can do a longer pull.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack meoff View Post
    If you set the drag level really low can you make it rear up like a horse?
    Never tried that. So much more I need to learn about it...

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    Do you think that the height of a person can make much of a difference? - taller can do a longer pull.
    Absolutely- (assuming technique is similar) taller, heavier people (with decent cardio, of course) make faster rowers (that's why there are weight classes- men under 75kg are classified as 'lightweight' and they are usually shorter than the heavyweight guys)- a tall person is moving the chain a longer distance every stroke- a shorter person has to make that up with strength or speed- the best Olympic rowers often approach 2m in height.

Last Online
    @
    What's a "rowing machine"? And what's a "gym"?

Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 05:56 PM
    I have owned a Model D for about 5 years now. I find it an enjoyable way to get a little workout every day. You guys got me beat in time and distance by a longshot! I try to row 3000 meters a day and usually take 141/2 minutes to get there.
    Life is a state of mind.

Last Online
    05-03-2012 @ 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe
    Come on fellas with your pissing contest.

its 10,000 km's, not 10 million metres or 1 thousand quadrillion milimetres

Best ever:
    2 km's and 5 km's, respectively

Quote Originally Posted by Aguda
    I try to row 3000 meters a day and usually take 141/2 minutes to get there
    2 and a half hours bud

You guys are worse than Bettyboo and his boasts of 20 half pints down the boozer

Back on subject, nearly. I have one of those ski-ing things outside, where you use arms and legs and look a complete cnut. Not that I needed it for that, but in 6 months my lifetime record on it is 12400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000 angstroms

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    ^

It's not pretense to measure rowing distances in meters instead of kilometers- it's they way it's supposed to be done- in the Olympics, i.e., anything over 1K or other than one mile is measured in meters (always 2000m, never 2K except unofficially)- the Concept2 rankings list is called 'The Meter Board'.

As far as your ski-machine goes, if it's crap (and if it's made for home use I have no doubt it is) you should consider a C2 rower- it's the cheapest commercial-quality cardio-machine available (~USD$1,000 plus shipping) and it will last many years without an issue- it's made to be put in gyms where it will receive harsh and constant use with little maintenance.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky Ralph View Post

Best ever:
    2 km's and 5 km's, respectively

Quote Originally Posted by Aguda
    I try to row 3000 meters a day and usually take 141/2 minutes to get there
    2 and a half hours bud
    Think he meant 14.5 minutes, not 141 minutes.

Anyway today I'll be tring to see how far I can get in 1800 seconds. My previous distance for this time was 75220000 millimetres.

I'll be listening to Underworld tracks with a bpm of 72 to help me along and hope to burn off about 0.5 mars bars.

Last Online
    01-07-2015 @ 08:48 PM
    Fuk using a machine
    I have a real dinghy to row

Last Online
    30-08-2017 @ 05:56 PM
    I got a question for ya boatboy. Who was hotter, Ginger or Maryanne ?

Thread Information