Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Online
    03-04-2012 @ 08:40 AM

Wink First-timer coming to Thailand - How to do Bangkok?

Hello all,
    I am planning my first trip to Thailand with my wife this November and trying to decide on where to stay for a few nights in BKK. I have a friend there who lives right next to PhraKhanong BTS station on Sukhumvit. Ideally, we'd like to stay nearby him. Basically need an affordable place between $20 and $40 a night, with good location and quality.

Any TeakDoor "pro-tip" suggestions on best places to stay in that area within that budget?

Also, how are most hotels about the number of guests per room? Her mother will be flying in from Manila and to keep costs down, we'd just as soon share a room for the 3 of us.

Do they charge extra for more than 2 per room?

We plan on 6 nights in Bangkok book-ended around 4 or 5 nights in Krabi with some friends. What do you guys suggest on seeing & doing in BKK for that amount of time? We'd like to maybe see a temple/cultural sites, some markets/shopping, good dining spots, etc.

We also plan to visit the RamKhamhaeng University which we are contemplating enrolling in next year to live in Thailand for a while studying. Anyone know anything about that place?

Thanks in advance for the great info, we're really looking forward to this adventure.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    I am planning my first trip to Thailand with my wife

Already off to a bad start. Bringing your wife to Thailand is a lot like bringing your car; you can do it, but grabbing a rental is easier, cheaper and more fun.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    10-07-2018 @ 02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fareastcoastmover
    Rates in thailand are normally for the room and no limit on occupancy. Others will advise on cheap rates, I wouldn't spend more than 2 days in Bangkok personally, but I don't like cities. Krabi, which you have mentioned on another thread, is much more to my taste, especially if you are not travelling solo

asiarooms.com normally seem ok, but turning up and asking for the best price works well, helps to have a Thai wife.

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    How to do Bangkok?
    Get out of there as quickly as possible.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed
    Rates in thailand are normally for the room and no limit on occupancy.
    They often charge an extra couple of hundred for an extra bed.

Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap
    How to do Bangkok?
    I disagree, I reckon Bangkok is a great place.

OP, best to ask your mate for a hotel in the area. your budget seems about right.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post

Already off to a bad start. Bringing your wife to Thailand is a lot like bringing your car; you can do it, but grabbing a rental is easier, cheaper and more fun.
    Yeah...yeah...I know, I know. Believe me, I've done enough "single male travel" across Asia to drown a few elephants. More than I'd even like to mention.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap View Post
    How to do Bangkok?

Ahhh, the standard been-there-too-long-hopelessly-jaded-and-bitter-guy reply.

Insight noted and---albeit expectantly---appreciated. I do like hearing the different perspectives out there, so thanks.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Rates in thailand are normally for the room and no limit on occupancy. Others will advise on cheap rates, I wouldn't spend more than 2 days in Bangkok personally, but I don't like cities. Krabi, which you have mentioned on another thread, is much more to my taste, especially if you are not travelling solo

asiarooms.com normally seem ok, but turning up and asking for the best price works well, helps to have a Thai wife.

Thanks for the reply man! Yes, I have heard about "but turning up and asking for the best price works well", so maybe we will just try that

As for a having a Thai wife helping matters, does having a Filipina wife who looks more Thai than Filipina count for anything? haha, probably not anything more than added confusion

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed
    Rates in thailand are normally for the room and no limit on occupancy.
    They often charge an extra couple of hundred for an extra bed.

Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap
    How to do Bangkok?
    I disagree, I reckon Bangkok is a great place.

OP, best to ask your mate for a hotel in the area. your budget seems about right.

Sir Wilson,
    Thanks for that reply. Nice to hear alternate opinions. I'll see what my friend says about hotels in his area.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    There are some must see and things to do in Bangkok. One can hardly say that they have been to Thailand without experiencing The Big Mango Bangkok. Likewise, the Krabi piece of the trip sounds like a good idea as well.

In addition to experiencing Bangkok, there are several day trips that depart and return to Bangkok that I would suggest. Ayuthaya is not to be missed if it isn't still flooded out. Kanchanaburi where the "Bridge Over the River Kwai" is located is another nice day trip.

Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I send you an tried and proven itinerary for first timers in Bangkok of things to do and see in Bangkok. Family things that will orient you to the area, are good photo opportunities, and will be enjoyable.

Happy travels.
    "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and it is all small stuff"

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Ha has been already said. Bangkok is OK in small doses. Very crowded, dirty smelly and bleeding hot.

As to room costs. Have a look at Agoda.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Her mother will be flying in from Manila and to keep costs down, we'd just as soon share a room for the 3 of us.
    Depends if you allow a film crew in there or not.
    we're really looking forward to this adventure.
    precisely fill yer boots !

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA Traveler View Post
    There are some must see and things to do in Bangkok. One can hardly say that they have been to Thailand without experiencing The Big Mango Bangkok. Likewise, the Krabi piece of the trip sounds like a good idea as well.

In addition to experiencing Bangkok, there are several day trips that depart and return to Bangkok that I would suggest. Ayuthaya is not to be missed if it isn't still flooded out. Kanchanaburi where the "Bridge Over the River Kwai" is located is another nice day trip.

Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I send you an tried and proven itinerary for first timers in Bangkok of things to do and see in Bangkok. Family things that will orient you to the area, are good photo opportunities, and will be enjoyable.

Happy travels.

Appreciate that offer SEAtraveler, but it seems I cannot send a PM until I hit 20 posts, so I'll do that once I get up there

Sounds like you have just the type of info I'm looking for.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble View Post
    Ha has been already said. Bangkok is OK in small doses. Very crowded, dirty smelly and bleeding hot.

As to room costs. Have a look at Agoda.
    Thanks Sailing, we've been looking at Agoda a bit. This is a place that seems to fit our desired location and budget: Cheap & Budget Sukhumvit Hotel - Chic & Boutique Hotel in Bangkok, Sukhumvit Hotel - Ds67 Suites Hotel - Official Website, Free Wi-fi internet access, Non-smoking Hotel

Video -

Last Online
    [quote=nigelandjan;1888903]

Depends if you allow a film crew in there or not.

precisely fill yer boots !

Hmmm, maybe something got lost in translation here. My apologies as I'm a bit dense sometimes. Some type of teakdoor inside joke I'm not initiated with yet?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I'm not sure what Suk Soi this BTS station is close to, so can't help you on accomodation. But a hotel within ez walk of the skytrain or underground is the way to go- so the one you've identified seems fine.

We don't have many Bangkophiles in TD really, but I'd say for a first timer you've gotta do the Royal Palace thing, and it's within walking distance of Chinatown, which is interesting, and Khao Sanh Rd, which is a backpackers zoo so worth a gawk. Besides that, you'll inevitably do a GoGo soi- Cowboy is probably best but Nana's OK too (avoid Patpong), and I recommend hiring a fishtail boat and doing a river & klong (canal) tour- just take the skytrain to Saphan Thaksin station, there's a heap of them waiting to be hired by the rivers edge. Over the river from the Royal palace, Wat Arun is very nice too. Your fishtail boat will happily drop you there.

Last Online
    @
    I spend a lot of time in Bangkok,but i have always been a crap tourist.
    Can check out some hotel prices at this site.Last Minute Hotels by Latestays
    Always good to compare prices,Its not a bad city the plus side is unlike western cities such as London the pace of life is much slower.Which is a good thing,i always head to one of the parks in Bangkok nice place to sit down relax away from the traffic.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang
    I'm not sure what Suk Soi this BTS station is close to, so can't help you on accomodation. But a hotel within ez walk of the skytrain or underground is the way to go- so the one you've identified seems fine.
    or near a riverbus station; most of the best sites are on or near the river

bangkok is a really great city, never boring, sometimes uncomfortable

go to Chatuchak (JJ) market at the weekend, hot and fascinating, go early before 10am

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-10-2020 @ 05:33 PM
    Walk in rates in Bangkok are not good (in my experience) the staff on reception do not have the authority to give big discount. Use Agoda or other booking sites.

Wife and mother-in law with you in Bangkok, good luck fella.

Last Online
    @
    I always stay in the Tai Pan hotel just down the road from Soi Cowboy - and thus very close to Asoke BTS and Metro lines.

Price in your range and nice and quiet.

Or failing that the Indra Regent at Pratunam is nice, too.

And don't forget to go to the Sky Bar outside at Lebua State Tower, even if it's only for one drink. Go early (I think it opens at 6) because it gets packed. Stunning views of the city from 60+ floors up. (Dress smart casual, no vests, shorts, etc.!).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    as sabang said, "the GRAND PALACE" is a must see.

as Dr. Andy said, gotta do "Chatuchak" ("weekend market" or as others call it the "Sunday Market").

other must sees/dos in Bangkok are JIM THOMPSON'S HOUSE, taking a long tail boat ride up the klong (canal), going to and walking up the steps of the GOLDEN MOUNT (great view), going to some of the temples around the Golden Mount area, a visit and tour of Vinmanmeck (largest teak wood mansion in the world and a former palace of the king), a tour of another traditional Thai house was the home of M.R. Kukrit, former Prime Minister (also known as the Heritage Home), you might even enjoy a walk down Khoa San Road, or a visit to and a walk around Ko Kret (an island city within the Bangkok city limits).

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post

We don't have many Bangkophiles in TD really, but I'd say for a first timer you've gotta do the Royal Palace thing, and it's within walking distance of Chinatown, which is interesting, and Khao Sanh Rd, which is a backpackers zoo so worth a gawk. Besides that, you'll inevitably do a GoGo soi- Cowboy is probably best but Nana's OK too (avoid Patpong), and I recommend hiring a fishtail boat and doing a river & klong (canal) tour- just take the skytrain to Saphan Thaksin station, there's a heap of them waiting to be hired by the rivers edge. Over the river from the Royal palace, Wat Arun is very nice too. Your fishtail boat will happily drop you there.
    Sabang,
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try to put some of those things on our agenda.

By the way, your nickname "Sabang", does that mean something in Thai? Or is it in reference to the dive-town in Puerta Galera, Philippines? If the latter, great little place to visit, been several times

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by klong toey View Post
    I spend a lot of time in Bangkok,but i have always been a crap tourist.
    Can check out some hotel prices at this site.Last Minute Hotels by Latestays
    Always good to compare prices,Its not a bad city the plus side is unlike western cities such as London the pace of life is much slower.Which is a good thing,i always head to one of the parks in Bangkok nice place to sit down relax away from the traffic.
    KlongToey & DrAndy,

Thanks for the advice. I've had LateStays recommended to me several times now. Seems thats really a good place to look. Yes, slower pace of life is a good thing in my book too.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bower View Post
    Wife and mother-in law with you in Bangkok, good luck fella.
    Bower,
    Haha, you don't even know the half of it!

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    And don't forget to go to the Sky Bar outside at Lebua State Tower, even if it's only for one drink. Go early (I think it opens at 6) because it gets packed. Stunning views of the city from 60+ floors up. (Dress smart casual, no vests, shorts, etc.!).
    Sounds awesome. Is that the one the "Hangover 2" movie was filmed at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information