Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 04:14 PM

Growing fruit trees in Ubon or Suphan, or maybe Chiang Mai

HIYA!,

I'm considering a move to either Ubon Ratchathani or Suphan Buri. I'm a fruit fanatic and would want to grow a wide variety of fruits. At the moment, I would just want to grow them mostly for my own consumption and study, though someday I might want to sell fruits and / or trees.

So, aside from the usual papaya and banana, what do you grow in Ubon Ratchathani or Suphan Buri? Or, where can I get more information on what [I]can[I] grow?

I realize the government has dictated what fruits grow best in each region, based on soil and climate, and probably other factors, but of course, that's not all that will grow on any piece of land.

And, aside from these (fruits that are abundant in Thailand but maybe not so commonly grown in Ubon or Suphan), what do you grow that is not even well known in Thailand? Maybe something from other sub-tropical regions, or tropical regions?

Just in Thailand alone, I'm told, there are hundreds of varieties of plants in just the banana family. I keep thinking that it must be possible to sell enough of the the odd variety of banana (I mean the fruits, not the plants) to make a decent, though modest, income.

Along the same line of thought, I wonder about the possibility of making some cash from selling fruits from trees that are exotic for Thais. Say, if I were to plant a few "Chocolate Pudding Fruit" trees and sell the fruits, or some other "exotic" fruit ... I just wonder what the possibilities are. I am sure there are others who've tried, and mostly, I guess, failed. Tell me where I can look for info on these past attempts, please.

I also semi-consider (a new word?) moving to Chiang Mai, or even Chiang Rai. I realize that with the mountain climates in those provinces, the range of possibilities is much greater than in the lowland provinces.

So, that's it ... and maybe that was alot .... Thanks a ton, in advance, for responses.

all smiles ~~ no worries.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    02-07-2018 @ 04:00 PM
    I often think about avocadoes

Last Online
    15-12-2016 @ 11:45 AM
    During the annual Ubon Red Cross Fair there are always some friendly plant vendors with some unusual fruits up for sale. The problem with anything too unusual is the Thai reluctance to even try anything new.

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    The soil in Suphan is great for Mangos, Coconuts and the like. Can't grow lam yai or some of the northern fruits here.

Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomta View Post
    Advacados grow well in Thailand, but you need to be very sure that the roots never become water logged (even for a very short period) as they will not tolerate water.

A couple of years back floods that lasted only a couple of days whiped out over a dozen Advacado trees belonging to us and our neighbours.

They need well drained soil, not clay, and preferably well above any water line.

Last Online
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize that various things will grow in various parts of the country that aren't really considered best suited for the species. It'll be fun to try this and that. But of course it's obvious that some things really won't work in some areas. Thanks.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Hi Troy, I'm considering the same move to Ubon or Chang Mai myself and I'm interested in growing fruits too. One of my first posts to TeakDoor was to that effect. Unfortunately I won't be making that move until early next year.
    My brother already has a place in Khemmarat and he mainly grows rubber trees (not very tasty, lol) but he also has bananas, jakfruit, mango's, etc. Just recently they have started planting tapioca.
    Anyway, good luck with your plantings and perhaps next year we'll get to meet and I can have a look at your orchard.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I live in Ubon, we have bananas, papaya, jackfruit, kaffir lime, lime & cashew trees on our lot. Dragon fruit & mango grows pretty well around here too, and the ubiquitous coconuts- although the prime range for them is further south really. Not sure of the Thai name, but 'dragon eye' (loong nam in Cantonese), apparently a close relative of the lychee, is a prolific local fruit, and some custard apple grown locally as well. Not sure of it's real name, but the 'isaan olive' (which needs to be pickled to consume) basically grows wild.

Commercially rice, rubber and cashews are the main local crops.

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomta View Post
    Advacados grow well in Thailand, but you need to be very sure that the roots never become water logged (even for a very short period) as they will not tolerate water.

A couple of years back floods that lasted only a couple of days whiped out over a dozen Advacado trees belonging to us and our neighbours.

They need well drained soil, not clay, and preferably well above any water line.
    Avocados don't do well in Suphanburi.
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Last Online
    Anyone near the Mae-Jo area of Chiang Mai? Wondering
    if figs would do well in the lower areas of CM.

Palexxx, where in CM are you considering?

Sabang, that's interesting that you've got cashews
    growing in Ubon. And fruits specific to a region are always
    interesting.

I'm still amazed that nobody has come up with a variety
    of those little red balls (Jamaican cherry ตะขบ) that can
    Last some days after being picked so they can be
    marketed. I realize that just about every Thai in the
    country says they're bored to death of the fruit, but I
    Rarely see even a child pop one into their mouth. Their
    season is about six months and, they're fabulous tasting.
    How often do you find even semi wild fruits that taste so
    sweet yet don't have a thousand get-in-the-way seeds.

One thing I'll have to do before making a decision about
    where to move is look into possibility of flooding.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    [at] troysantos,
    I haven't arrived in LOS yet, (end of the year) so I really don't know where I'll ultimately settle. My brother is in Khemmerat in Ubon. We're going to have a tour around Chiang Mai to have a look around but I might settle somewhere in Ubon. I don't know.

Last Online
    24-01-2012 @ 08:28 PM
    I just signed up to this forum and not sure how it works. I tried sending a private message about farming to Palexxxx and got an auto reply saying I can't send PMs until I've posted 20 times or something like that. Anyway, you will probably see my separate thread posting soon. I am seeking an interesting agriculture venture to get involved in in Thailand. I have 25 years experience in agriculture including 16 in Southeast Asia. Currently based in Cambodia. I would consider traditional employment on farm/plantation or involvement as partner/co-investor, and would consider small-holder contract growing scheme... Any ideas or contacts for me?? Can I post an e-mail address here so folks can send info by e-mail? Cheers, Aggie P

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Hi Aggie, just sent you a private message.

btw, to bump up the number of your posts in a hurry, go to the games room and go on the 'change a letter' or 'acronym' threads, you'll get to 20 posts within a day or two.

Last Online
    24-01-2012 @ 08:28 PM

Can't Open Your Reply?

I tried to open your reply, but it failed saying it might be because I have pop-ups disabled or something like that. Very frustrating. I'm gonna go out on a limb here an post my e-mail address. Any folks who want to discuss farming ideas in Thailand please send me a message: mjz1963[at]gmail.com. Cheers, Aggie

Last Online
    HIYA!

I'll be in Ubon by the end of October. A couple of friends and I are looking around for land in Ubon but are also considering Chiang Mai. Suphan has pretty much faded.

Myself, I'm interested in farming along the lines of Masanobu Fukuoka and other no-till farmers, and for my own food more than growing anything to sell. I want to spend considerable time in the garden, and try my hand at experimentation. So, a commercial farm is certainly not what I'm considering.

Having said that I am interested though in trying unusual varieties of fruits and vegetables, and might see about selling some. I'm interested to try various varieties of bananas, figs, avocados, durians, and other fruits. I do realize that Thais are generally not very adventuresome when it comes to new foods. I eat mostly raw foods and most people take one look at what I eat and ... that's it!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    This place sells seeds. Chocolate Sapote, about 1/4 of the way down the page.

Rare Fruit Seeds and Exotic Tropical Fruit Seeds

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    This place is in Miami but ships to certain countries. They have Black Sapote too.

Pine Island Nursery, Tropical fruit trees

Last Online
    HIYA! I had them in Belize, Central America when I was there a few years ago. I saved some seeds and think I shipped them to a monk here in Thailand. Even if he hasn't had someone plant them yet, I don't suppose they'd be any good anymore. I will look around someday, maybe I'll buy from one of the online stores palexxxx suggested. Will you get some seeds or saplings?

Funny that I didn't see them in Guatemala though there must have been some there. They were already in season in Belize so must have also been in season in Guatemala.

Honduras has durian trees. From Thailand. There's a botanical garden with 10 trees from Thailand, about 50 or more years old. A groundskeeper showed me a couple and told me that people who work at the garden love them and wait in anticipation for the fruits to ripen!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by troysantos
    bananas, figs, avocados, durians,
    Bananas are easy. Durian- prime range is further south I believe, but thats not to say they might not do well here (a lot of southern money coming here and buying up land for rubber, for example). Jackfruit does exceedingly well here incidentally- but I don't know anybody that grows them commercially. One mature jackfruit tree takes care of an extended family, and half the fruit is still left to rot (I'm thinking of making wine with otherwise wasted jackfruit). Figs?? H'mmm. I associate them with oases- but heck, if you can grow some, talk to me. My wifes bar will be a ready customer.

I would love to grow avo's, and I believe it is possible- you will definitely need a well drained sandy loam though, which you can find in Ubon. Heavier soils, you're probably wasting your time.

Last Online
    Myself, it looks like I'll settle in Ubon. I'll be living at a temple run by the Santi Asoke group. There's temple land that is being set aside for a Thai friend and I to grow food for the temple.

I'll be in Chiang Mai at the end of Jan and will definitely hunt down a variety or two of dates. I know someone in the south who grows them, he knows someone else who's been growing them for more than 10 years now (in Songkhla) and I know of someone in CM who says he's certain his varietal can grow anywhere in Thailand. They might taste horrible in this climate, who knows. On the other hand, with the long dry season here, they may do great.

Thread Information