Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast
    Thailand Expat

Last Online
    14-06-2022 @ 04:19 PM
    What are the 'Black Holes' to combat mosquitoes? I'm guessing it's some sort of dark trap. I used to leave a black zip up bag in the corner, they would all settle in there and then I'd get 'em with the zapper.

We have no screens on our place, sleep under nets and use coils and fans. Seems to work OK.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithson View Post
    What are the 'Black Holes' to combat mosquitoes? I'm guessing it's some sort of dark trap. I used to leave a black zip up bag in the corner, they would all settle in there and then I'd get 'em with the zapper.

We have no screens on our place, sleep under nets and use coils and fans. Seems to work OK.
    They can be bought for about 2500 baht at Home Pro. They work on attracting mosses by a black light and CO2 (I think) and are collected in a trap. I saw them first on this sight in a thread for combating mosses and then saw them at Home Pro. I am sure there are some "Black Hole" experts out there (please keep it clean boys).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks Peterpan. I would be interested in seeing the house and maybe they used the same plans obtained from the net. If you can, PM the coordinates and I will take a look.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Will do Rick. at the moment its very wet around here so only sticking to main roads on my Bicycle country tours.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    [quote=Smithson;1833243]Really nice plan, I like the height, open areas, room underneath and outside kitchen - design features that have worked here for centuries.

Not only will the place be cooler and more pleasant all round, but you'll save money. Have you considered putting in some ventilation in the roof ends?

Also, you could wait before doing the downstairs living area, you might find it's really nice to leave it open and put in some potted plants as well as cut flowers like heliconias (bird of paradise) that you could grow on the property.[/quote

Smithson, I have decided to take your advice and leave the bottom area open except for the enclosed portion shown in the drawings. The only thing I may do is add a grill and counter area so that I can bar-b-que in the open. Initailly, the downstairs closed area will be a dining area and will have a fridge. Also, plan to put a downstairs toilet or wetroom in. The rest I will keep open to see what the cooling affect is and how things work out.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Nice looking house indeed rick, good luck with it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks Sabang. I hope to kick things off in Oct.-Nov. as long as I find a reputable builder.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    as long as I find a reputable builder
    I know a chap who might be available. Shall I make enquiries?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    That would be great Marmite, you can PM the details if you have any luck.

Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 07:56 PM
    Bugs always present a problem in Thailand Ota. I do not have plans to add screens to my windows and will be using the Thai logic. I do have some Black Holes to combat mosquitoes and will be adding an anti bug system for about 20,000 baht. It allows you to disperse bug repellant under the house through plastic piping and is well worth the money. There are other threads on this site that go into detail, but I will have pics once I have mine installed if you are interested.
    I got out of the real estate market in 2005 just before the crash and never got back in after that house was sold. I feel your pain, but it does not sound like you are stuck in a dump.[/quo

Thank you for replying. I'd love to see how the anti=bug contraption works. I've not heard of this system.
    I'm refinancing at this low rate. I'm one of the millions of blokes who did 100% financing. I imagine it's 100% self financed in Thailand. It's safer that way I imagine. More security for your wife.

Oh, if you happen upon this week's National Geographic or see it online, they have a feature story about the Adirondacks.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thought I would get some opinions on the first project I will have in October when I start the build. I would like to construct a 10 meter x 15-20 meter area that would serve as a parking area/shop/sala down by the pond. In this picture it is located where the bare dirt is showing just before the trees. On the other side is the pond. On the gate side, there is an opening which would be the seond access point to the land that would allow tractors or work vehicles to enter. It would consist of a concrete slab with cement posts about 5 meters apart covered with some tin roofing. Shouldn't cost too much and would give me a place to park all the "toys" and work on them at the same time. Also, have a few beers while playing pool. Is 10-15m enough or do I need to go 10-20m? Anyone see any issues with location?

Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 07:56 PM

Shed

Good idea Rick. Gonna run any electric to it?

Ota

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    That would be great Marmite, you can PM the details if you have any luck.
    I haven;t forgotten you - looks like I'll be meeting him next Sunday all being well.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks Marmite and yes, I do intend to have some electric run to be able to use some tools and have a little light, if needed. The thought is to use the structure for temporary quarters for the building crew. There is always a need for shade and storing building materials as well. Once they are finished, it will be converted for my use since I am always tinkering with something.

Last Online
    31-08-2016 @ 10:35 AM
    I'd opt for the larger shed, you can never have enough covered storage/recreation areas.
    Also might allow space for some secure storage since the shed will be away from the house and easily accessible from the side road. IMHO

Jim

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks Jim. You can never have enough room for storage and covered space to have a work shop. I am forever "tinkering" with something and the only garage/work area that I owned which was large enough could fit 8 cars and tools. Since labor is cheap and cement block reasonable in Thailand, I plan to make it large enough for my current and future needs. I'll keep everyone posted.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Justa thought Rick in your shed / workshop mabe incorporate a toilet / wetroom I am sure it would be well worth it for the little extra it would cost

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Yes, you are reading my mind Nigelandjan and my thought was to use the area as a temporary quarters for the builders along with storing building materials. Need to have a Thai toilet and wet room along with the large shaded area. After the builders are done, I was thinking to use the space for a work shop/bar/pool table/get away space.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Dunno bout a Thai toilet mate ,, make the heathens behave in an acceptable manner during delivery , will come in handy when I come round for a game of pool later and need a jimmy

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    yes, Thai toilet

workers tend to piss all over, as do pissed house guests

easy to hose down

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Currently, the Thai guests will not use the western toilet in the family house and will use the outside Thai toilet or just wonder off for a piss like Dr. A. says. Maybe it is a sign of respect not to use the western toilet, or a lack of knowledge how it works. Either way, having a Thai toilet outside the house will be used by all Thai visitors and sometimes the western ones as well.

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    The workers will piss in the toilets as soon as they're installed, even if the water hasn't been turned on yet and they can't be flushed- they will also smoke in your house and grind their cigarette butts out on your floor even after the tiles have started to be put down- you have to stay on top of the foreman to avoid that crap.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    I plan to be there every day and am not a smoker. The toilets will have water as soon as they are installed and I plan to finish this out building in advance of the house build. Good information though FS.

Special member
    Last Online
    @
    October when I start the build
    Good stuff, looking forward to it!

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    and sometimes the western ones as well.
    I,ll have to practice me balancing act before I come round to pot the brown