Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM

Pracha-Naruemit, Bangkoks largest woodcraft and wooden furniture centre

Pracha Naruemit wood craft centre comprises two narrow sois about 1 kilometre long each just off Pracharat Road in Bangsue district, Nonthaburi. Here you can find just about everything and anything made of wood. Over 200 shops owned by Chinese families who moved to this area from Wat saket, Banglampoo, Dumrongrak Road and other areas bringing their woodworking skills with them. It makes a pleasant stroll walking up the two one way sois , admiring all the carving and wathing the craftsmen at work.

The entrance arch to Pracha Naruemit :

Plenty of furniture on show and if they havn't got what you want they also do made to order .

If its dado rails or coving you want then you'll find it here .

A lot cheaper than Chatuchak market too since this is where a lot of stuff there starts its life

Its very interesting to watch the craftsmen at work but they can be a bit camera shy so try to be discreet and observe the no photograph signs when you see them. Plenty of workshops just spill out onto the pavement.

No shortage of woodworking tools either. Just look at all these bits !

A word of warning if you're driving though. The sois are narrow and parking is difficult so unless you're buying a lot of wood leave the car at home. Heres how it can be midweek

Well, I found everything I was looking for and will post the pictures of what I did with my purchases that cost me 310 baht. Here's one of them.

Last Online
    05-09-2022 @ 05:45 AM
    Interesting thread m8 , did you by any chance notice if there was anyone making kitchen cupboard doors.

Last Online
    09-08-2010 @ 11:45 AM

Display cabinets and bedding

Yes interesting, dd you by any chance see any four poster beds or display cabinets (with room for TV and stereo etc). We have to furnish our new house in Nakhon Sawan and I haven't seen any wood working shops in the township or market place. Any body from Nakhon Sawan out there with more info.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    ^^ To both the above questions , yes but I didn't take any measurements. Doors of all sorts here and if you have a specific requirement they will make them to order but obviously you will have to wait. If you live in Nakorn Sawan I'm sure you will be able to find a good carpenter a little closer to home if you ask around

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    If you are driving up Pracharat Road , look for the following 2 sois where you'll find the woodcraft shops :

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Ooops , accidently deleted some pictures from the folder. Ah well, never mind. Here's how my purchases ended up. A finishing touch to a mirror :

And a nice bit of grooved trim to run around my new panneled doors :

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    LOL I got there by telling a taxi driver "Soi WOOD". He knew exactly where I wanted to go.

Was looking for wood working tools but did not see any quality stuff at all.

e. g.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gibbon View Post
    LOL I got there by telling a taxi driver "Soi WOOD". He knew exactly where I wanted to go.

Was looking for wood working tools but did not see any quality stuff at all.

e. g.
    I'm surprised as they seemed to have everything ? The only thing I could not get there was a western styled hand plane. Most Thais have gone totally electric. They did have a selection of wooden Thai hand planes but they seemed of inferior design as there was nothing to grip.

What were you looking for ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    Same same. a Stanly #7, ( or equivalent ) a buck plane and some decent chisels, quality steel for cutting dove joints, etc.

Also looking for an old rail road grinder, hand driven and geared 5 : 1 for sharpening. Those are like hen's teeth but do exist.

E. G.

Edit: the old Thai style planes are great IF you are well versed in their use.. lol I am not.
    "If you can't stand the answer --
    Don't ask the question!"

Last Online
    04-03-2014 @ 11:08 AM
    G'day Bangyai. Was there any shops with dining room tables and chairs of good hard wood that was finished in a nice style with carvings around the edges.

Great pice of the shops. Cheers

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneyboy View Post
    G'day Bangyai. Was there any shops with dining room tables and chairs of good hard wood that was finished in a nice style with carvings around the edges.

Great pice of the shops. Cheers
    To be honest I don't know as I wasn't looking for furniture on my last visit. The area is mostly for wood carving but there are several large furniture shops with many pieces in wood. Unfortunately, a couple of them had signs in Thai saying no photographs ( ? ) so I didn't bother sticking my head in. Still, if you're in bangkok with a few hours to kill its an interesting place to check out. But don't forget, there are 2 parallel streets so if you can't find what you are looking for in one try the other. The 2 kilometre walk in the hot sun will help you work up a thirst

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Same same. a Stanly #7, ( or equivalent ) a buck plane and some decent chisels, quality steel for cutting dove joints, etc.

Also looking for an old rail road grinder, hand driven and geared 5 : 1 for sharpening. Those are like hen's teeth but do exist.

E. G.

Edit: the old Thai style planes are great IF you are well versed in their use.. lol I am not.
    Well, eventually, I did track down a huge tool ' Mall ' not far from here where they did sell Stanley planes, but they cost an absolute murder and I didn't feel like remortgaging the house to buy one! Strange, because back in the U.K. you can pick them up for a song at any decent car boot sale. I'm back in the U.K. in April and will definately be getting an old one to play with back here. A good business idea for someone. Import decent secondhand tools, refurbish them and sell them to TD members

Last Online
    28-03-2012 @ 03:40 AM
    Thank you for this post.

Can they make any kind of furniture ?

Thanks.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by buycondojomtien View Post
    Thank you for this post.

Can they make any kind of furniture ?

Thanks.
    Sorry, I can't say. I do have a friend who had a mini bar and stools made up to measure so I know they do it. Best thing is to go down with some drawings and ask around.

Last Online
    21-04-2010 @ 11:13 AM
    Very Nice !
    Thank You

Last Online
    04-03-2014 @ 07:28 AM

E. G.

i have managed to set up a fairly good woodwork shop for my own use most of the big tools coming from klong toey market ,i have seen western style steel planes there too thougy i didnt check the quality as i bought my most used planes with me from the uk .if you have the time a wander round will get you most things you will need though i have found that the weekend outdoor market is getting more expensive now

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    How do these prices compare to those found in the Chiang Mai factorys? Not tourist traps, but the factorys themselves.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    I know the streets well as the wife grew up just around the corner and still has a house on a nearby parallel soi. I got the teak wood doors for my whole house here made to spec and design. prices seem to be fair and certainly less that smaller remote sites. prices were negociable when I purchased my doors several years ago and would imagine things are the same these days as competition is all around...
    "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and it is all small stuff"

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    How do these prices compare to those found in the Chiang Mai factorys? Not tourist traps, but the factorys themselves.
    Would have to do a like for like comparison in order to answer that but if you're living in Bangkok it will be cheaper to buy here than make the trip north and visa versa unless you have another reason to travel the long distance.

However , I would imagine that the prices are pretty similar since a lot of other stuff from the north that you see at Chatuchak is actualy cheaper there than at scource.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA Traveler View Post
    I know the streets well as the wife grew up just around the corner and still has a house on a nearby parallel soi. I got the teak wood doors for my whole house here made to spec and design. prices seem to be fair and certainly less that smaller remote sites. prices were negociable when I purchased my doors several years ago and would imagine things are the same these days as competition is all around...
    Yes, definately the cheapest and best choice I've found in Bangkok but sometimes if you're only wanting a few bits then the cost of petrol and tricky parking make it not worth the trip if you can find somewhere local to use.

Last Online
    09-04-2012 @ 05:34 PM

Buddha Wall Panel

Hi, I stumbled across this thread and find it so relevant to me. I am currently searching for Buddha Face Wall Panel to decorate my little room for my buddha altar. I intend to make a trip to Bangkok and visit the "Soi Wood". Do you think I can find such panels there? Something like 24" x 36" tall. Can't post image or links since i am posting here for the first time.
    Kindly advise...

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kimchisashimi View Post
    Hi, I stumbled across this thread and find it so relevant to me. I am currently searching for Buddha Face Wall Panel to decorate my little room for my buddha altar. I intend to make a trip to Bangkok and visit the "Soi Wood". Do you think I can find such panels there? Something like 24" x 36" tall. Can't post image or links since i am posting here for the first time.
    Kindly advise...
    Well, you should be able to find an attractive panel the size you want but I can't say I've ever seen one with a Buddha image. You might have to get that seperate elseware. I was there two weeks ago and noticed that the recent floods seem to have resulted in a few of the smaller places closing down for renovation.

Welcome to the TD forum though.

Last Online
    09-04-2012 @ 05:34 PM
    Thanks. I'm from Singapore, hope to shop for wood decor and freight back to Singapore. Know of any good freight forwarding company? 😃

Last Online
    11-09-2018 @ 12:58 AM
    Hi,

If you need someone to help buying, check your products and ship to you I used them before: Personal-shopper-bangkok.com | Wholesaler in Thailand

Not for furniture though, but they buy and send anything actually.

Cheers.

5 4 Knoll
    Last Online
    @
    Bump
    Would like do viewing without the truck (In Miniburi)

How far is is it from Bang Sue station a walk or a taxi,coolness is alwaysa good start such prolonged shopping expeditions.

I assume once she's agged and paid,they can deliver in BKK for a fee or I'lls sclepp over there in the traffic on my way North.

Esp interested in dessers wardrobes and bookcases of clean simple look without all the fancy crenellations to dust and gather cobwebs,basically Swedish IKEA design but top notch wood built to last heavy insect repellent Makkan Teak etc.
    Have looked in Phrae and Mae Sodt while prices reasonable for the qulaity all big dark heavy Thai or Chinese style.

Any clues welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer View Post
    I just want the chance to use a bigger porridge bowl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information