Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-10-2020 @ 05:33 PM

Shocked by my children

We had great family get together, my 3 boys and my daughter. All with their wives and boyfriends. Everyone pulled together with the cooking etc.
    Now i have been dealing in antiques for many years and have collected many things. Excellent period furniture, Chinese porcelain, marine paintings, Scandinavian glass and a large collection of Victorian miniature glass oil lamps.
    In discussion about these items and my eventual parting from this mortal coil. I was truely shocked by my kids attitude to my varied collection.
    Not only do they not admire 'my stuff' they dont want any of it. I am informed it will all go straight to auction !
    I turn to my wife for support to be told, she agrees, she said its like living in a bloody museum !

I now intend spending all their inheritance on builing a mausoleum in the garden and having my treasures buried with me.

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Good for you Bower.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

.....one mans trash.....is another mans treasure....

or in this case.....ones mans treasure is another mans trash....

that mausoleum idea....how about sacrificing a couple of virgins....
    when they push the "boat out"....

In transit to Valhalla

Last Online
    @
    Why do you bother to care Bower you have had your pleasure fulfilled out of it, as long as they get joy out of your collection, like spending the proceeds from an auction on something they really need or truly will enjoy for years to come.

You wont care one way or the other once you are gone

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    sell it all and enjoy the proceeds before its too late.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bower
    I was truely shocked by my kids attitude to my varied collection. Not only do they not admire 'my stuff' they dont want any of it. I am informed it will all go straight to auction ! I turn to my wife for support to be told, she agrees, she said its like living in a bloody museum !
    so have you now thought about why you made them live in a "museum"?

did you not consult them before filling up the house with stuff? They live there too

get rid of it all NOW, and use the money to have a big party to apologise, and get drunk, make a fool of yourself and have a massive argument..

oh no, wrong thread...
    I have reported your post

M.A.D
    Last Online
    06-11-2015 @ 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    sell it all and enjoy the proceeds before its too late.
    You cant take it with you, sell it and go out with a bang! If they sell it and do not know its worth, that would be a waste as well.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    20-06-2012 @ 03:24 PM
    I was truely shocked by my kids attitude
    Why don't you shock them in return. sell the bloody lot. Spend your inheritance till you get yourself into massive debt. Then leave that to them.
    For sure they will remember you for many years long after you're gone.

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    I remember an ancient British film , where some practical joking old English gentleman dies, and at his will reading all his greedy , nasty ,pompous relative gather ,
    only to hear they have to do various tasks to get their share ;
    one has to spend a few days in prision etc .
    they all complete the tasks , only to hear , he died broke having spent the lot ,and just made them do the tasks to make them better people ,which they all agree they now are .
    Bower ,you could get rid of your pile of cash too , except rather than spend it ,give it to me , you know you stole it off us northerns in the first place anyway .

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ You would have to be up very early in the morning to catch out Northerners in the UK. Not hostile but pretty sharp and have no trust in us Southerners (i wonder why)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Joking apart, i really was surprised by my kids dislike of antiques and wonder how unobservant i must have been not to have noticed before.
    There is an apparent compromise on the horizon,my wife wants me to de-clutter, sell many of the items and modernise the house. I will then be allowed to keep or purchase two or three important items that will compliment her modern designs.
    Our cleaner sighs, thank god for that, no more dusting fragile items under my oppresive supervision.
    I feel i am cornered !

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by blue
    I remember an ancient British film , where some practical joking old English gentleman dies
    Laughter in Paradise
    Alistair Sim, George Cole and Joyce Grenfell

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    I like to follow the auctions and have attended hundreds securing some amazing bargains along the way.

The deceased estate auction never cease to amaze me as some families seem to gather up everything the dead punter has ever owned and just foked it all of to auction.

You can find there most personal items stuffed in the bottom of a box and there's someones whole life sitting there looking at you complete with pictures and collectibles like our friend is talking about.

Maybe some families just fok the whole lot off just to get rid of the memories or they do it for the cash.

Foked if I know.

I don't get too attached to stuff as all my shit will go to auction as well.

Last Online
    @
    I reckon your children are a bit out of order mate but then again don't be so sensitive about their taste or lack of appreciating yours.

Leave your treasure to them to do what they wish and you never know they may be shocked with the return they may end up with.

You may have the last laugh from heaven.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    I reckon your children are a bit out of order mate but then again don't be so sensitive about their taste or lack of appreciating yours.

Leave your treasure to them to do what they wish and you never know they may be shocked with the return they may end up with.

You may have the last laugh from heaven.
    Kind thoughts Loy-Toy,thank you.
    I would be a first if i did have the last laugh

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    14-05-2017 @ 03:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelmate View Post
    I was truely shocked by my kids attitude
    Why don't you shock them in return. sell the bloody lot. Spend your inheritance till you get yourself into massive debt. Then leave that to them.
    For sure they will remember you for many years long after you're gone.
    Thats the ticket!

Last Online
    @
    Fuk them if they are crass enough to tell you to your face that what you hold near & dear has little or no meaning to them... If nothing else, they could ply you with platitudes to stroke your ego until you pop your clogs, then divest themselves of you collection... I'd tell 'em to all fuk off and write them out of my will... How's that?
    Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Not hostile but pretty sharp and have no trust in us Southerners (i wonder why)
    Mistrust of people who can speak properly and have an education?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Fuk them if they are crass enough to tell you to your face that what you hold near & dear has little or no meaning to them... If nothing else, they could ply you with platitudes to stroke your ego until you pop your clogs, then divest themselves of you collection... I'd tell 'em to all fuk off and write them out of my will... How's that?
    Inventive and very effective but well, if you have kids, bank of mum and dad and all that.
    Added to this, my wife is a lot younger than me and very tolerant of my lifestyle.
    I guess i owe her something

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    I think it sounds like you have a very nice commection, Bower. I daresay when you are gone, the sentimental value of it will mean something to them.

I hear similar noises from my family over my bric a brac, such as my autographed photo of Heinrich Himmler and various other things.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    my 3 boys and my daughter. All with their wives and boyfriends
    If there was more than one boyfriend then leave everything to the shirt lifter as they will not have any rug rats running round and smashing stuff up.

Actually, mausoleum idea sounds like the go so they can't flog it either.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    my 3 boys and my daughter. All with their wives and boyfriends
    If there was more than one boyfriend then leave everything to the shirt lifter as they will not have any rug rats running round and smashing stuff up.

Actually, mausoleum idea sounds like the go so they can't flog it either.
    Very astute of you, well observed. However one son's wife, estranged, bought her current boyfriend with her. My first wife and her boyfriend were here too but she has had her share !

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib
    Fuk them if they are crass enough to tell you to your face that what you hold near & dear has little or no meaning to them...
    Maybe holding objects as near and dear is not the best way to live?

whilst they may be precious and beautifully made, they are still just things

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    However one son's wife, estranged, bought her current boyfriend with her. My first wife and her boyfriend were here too but she has had her share !

.....with a line up like that.....you should be handing it out, as memorabilia, after the games....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bower View Post
    I turn to my wife for support to be told, she agrees, she said its like living in a bloody museum !

Operate a 2-tier entry fee and charge them double to come in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information