Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

When are old rockers too old to rock?

prompted to start this thread when i read this one about Bob Dylan (70 in May) performing in Singapore in April.

In the next month or so Bangkok has Eric Clapton (65) , Carlos Santana (63) and The Eagles (60s).

I saw the Rolling Stones in NZ in 2007 - bloody good show

George Thorogood

Friends in NZ went to see George Thorogood (61) and Joe Cocker (66) last weekend. I would have liked to have seen Paul Weller in concert this year, one from the punk-era, now 53

I see Jethro Tull are still touring, 44 years since their first album release. Ian Anderson is 63.

Neil Diamond is still touring.

I saw Thorogood maybe 1985-6 in Perth, Tull in Sydney 1984 and again in NZ 1993. Will they ever stop?

I was listening to an Allman Brothers album, classic stuff, but Gregg A is 63.

My question is - when is it time to give up?

Neil Diamond, 70
    Last edited by genghis61; 04-02-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    A good thing never ends.
    Mick Jagger

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by genghis61
    When they can't sing or play any more, although I admit that some of those who can't sing any more, like Dylan, are so iconic that they'll never be short of an audience. I saw Dylan a few years ago in London and he sounded like a lung-cancer victim who'd just run a marathon but, you know, it was still Bob Dylan and it was great to see and hear him.
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    dylan is still a valid performer, hes recent albums have been as good as anything he ever did.

likewise clapton and santana. their music is timeless.

its a bit painful however to watch old men rocking n' rolling and singing songs that were written when they were in their 20's.

i saw the rolling stones concert film, "shine a light" recently and found it embarrassing to watch. its the music of youth and of rebellion and it doesnt look or sound right coming out of the mouths of men approaching 70. its not that they performed badly, it was a brilliantly executed performance, every move and keychange rehearsed down to the last split second, but there was no soul in the performance or in the music. compared to a stones video from the 70's it would come a poor second.

so in answer to your question, i would say they should stop when their age is not compatible with the emotion of the music they are singing.

a sixty seven year old should not be singing about street fighting men, or honky tonk women anymore, it becomes self parody, a joke.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    when I went to see the Stones in 06 or 07 I went along with the attitude 'well they'll never tour NZ again' I think the last time they'd been was 1965. So a bit of nostalgia, took my (much) older brother who was thrilled to see them, so worth it i guess.

Why do they keep touring? For some it can't be the money they couldn't spend what they have in the years they have left. There must still be some thrill, some good feeling about stepping out on stage.

And I forgot Neil Young (65) I'd still pay to see him

Last Online
    07-04-2013 @ 10:58 PM

When the audience starts booing, walking out or when there IS no audience

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    yea the quality bands can hang in there
    for whatever reason
    rock till they die.
    mick jagger will still make an
    appearance even after he's dead and gone.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by billy the kid
    mick jagger will still make an appearance even after he's dead and gone.
    there are those who would say Keith already has

Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Someone needs to put an end to The Eagles. Sick to death of hearing them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    nah , it's just one song ...................................

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    no more walks in the wood.
    the trees have all been cut down
    no more walks in the wood.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    from The Big Lebowski . . . my sentiments on The Eagles

The Dude: Jesus, man, could you change the channel?
    Cab Driver: Fvck you man. If you don't like my fvckin' music get your own fvckin' cab!
    The Dude: I had a rough...
    Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out!
    The Dude: Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the fvckin' Eagles, man!

Last Online
    Feck the Eagles and hotel California.

Being an ex dealer in high end audio and having to listen to it on a daily basis because every anorak What Hi-fi reader has been told to buy it as a test CD drove me nuts. Having to hear it here in every feckin market as well is just too much.
    You bullied, you laughed, you lied, you lost!

Last Online
    Forgot to add, there also shyte!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    When is a rocker too old?

When they lose the ability to create new music and end up touring their greatest hits decade after decade.
    Bands like The Stones, Eagles, The Who, even The Cure and U2 should have packed it in as soon as the creative tap went dry. Instead they stay in it because of the $, and who can blame em? It's human nature, and I guess it keeps the nostalgic fans happy.

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    Went to see INXS in Perth last night. They have 30 years under there belt and that yank JD fontaine or what ever his name is up front.

I don't know, just seemed to be going through the motions and no real atmosphere but that could of just been me.

I must say they made a motsa as the place was packed out so I give them full points for still knocking it out.

Off to see Joe and George in a few weeks so also top points to them for still knocking it out.

All these guys tour Australia as they know us Aussies will rock up to a shit sandwich BBQ.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Mick Jagger (born 26 July 1943) in the news today

Jagger to make first Grammy spot
    Last updated 05:00 05/02/2011

The Recording Academy is finally getting some satisfaction, with Mick Jagger's first appearance on the Grammy stage.

The Rolling Stones frontman will perform at the Feb 13 ceremony as part of a tribute to soul great Solomon Burke, who died last year. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer opened for the Rolling Stones several times during his career comeback late in life.

Jagger will perform with soul singer Raphael Saadiq during the 53rd annual Grammy Awards, which will air live on CBS from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

"We're thrilled, delighted, excited and very much looking forward to Mick doing his debut on the Grammy stage," said Neil Portnow, president and CEO of the Recording Academy. "It's extraordinary to many of us that the fact is, this will be the first time; he has never performed on the Grammy stage."

This won't be Jagger's first appearance on a Grammy telecast. In 1986, the Rolling Stones were given a lifetime achievement award by Eric Clapton, and they performed on the show by satellite.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    and Neil Diamond too; take a hint, Neil . . .

Poor sales likely in Neil's no-show
    BRITTON BROUN Last updated 05:00 05/02/2011

The cancellation of Neil Diamond's Wellington concert is likely to be because of poor ticket sales, a local promoter says.

This week, Ticketek emailed people who had bought tickets for the show at Westpac Stadium on March 4, calling the gig off. It said there were "unforeseen production and logistical challenges" in staging the concert outdoors and no "suitable indoor venue".

Diamond's Australian promoters, Dainty Consolidated Entertainment, did not return calls.

Wellington concert promoter Phil Sprey, who has brought superstars such as Elton John to the capital, said a lack of ticket sales at the 35,000-seat venue was probably the real reason. "Reading between the lines, it's saying: `We didn't sell enough tickets to fill the stadium.' This is the second time it's happened."

Last year, Bon Jovi's Auckland show was moved from the 45,000seat Mt Smart Stadium to the 12,000-seat Vector Arena by DCE.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    anyone remember Gary Numan? Only 58 . . . touring Australia and NZ this year

Gary Numan will play his classic 1979 album The Pleasure Principle in its entirety.
    The British electronic music pioneer will perform the album, including the hit Cars, to celebrate its 30th anniversary. Other songs from throughout his career will also be performed.

Last Online
    26-08-2022 @ 03:26 PM
    tom petty and the heart breakers are one of my favourites,into there 60's now and still manage to pack the punters in.watched a interview with tom and he said they would keep going until they stopped haveing fun,and he also said that when you stop getting older YOUR DEAD.
    google tom petty and steve nicks if you want to watch a couple old timers doing a few numbers live in concert.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    I saw Rod Stewart at Impact last year and he still has it...

Rod spent the better part of the evening hanging around the saxaphonist.

he hasn't changed one bit.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ yes, well Rod's still got it . . . eight kids . . .

Rod Stewart welcomes baby boy
    Last updated 09:28 18/02/2011

Rod Stewart and his wife Penny Lancaster have welcomed a new baby boy into the world. The son, named Aiden, is the couple's second boy. They have another boy named Alastair Wallace who is five years old.

"Mother and baby are healthy and blissfully happy," Stewart's J Records label said. The baby was born on Wednesday.

Aiden is Stewart's eighth child. The 66-year-old British rocker has been married two previous times, along with having a string of long-term relationships with women, including model Kelly Emberg and actress Britt Eckland.

Last Online
    @
    I saw Art Garfunkel (without Paul Simon) a few years ago and my 2 young Aussie kids, who were not to interested at first and had no idea who he was really enjoyed seeing a living legend live.

They were constantly asking did he really sing that song and I was pleased that they could enjoy something else other then the crap that they were listening too at the time.

Old rockers rock until they die and then their legend and music lives on.

KOBRIEN
    When they swap Whiskey for Tea !

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    60 seems a good retiring age . . .

Rock icon Phil Collins calls it quits
    MARCH 3, 2011

Phil Collins has indicated that he intends to end his rock career after learning that health problems will prevent him playing the drums again.

The 60-year-old star says he feels it is "a good time to stop" making music, adding: "I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information