Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Speaking of looking at yards for used wood, does anyone know where the yards might be located in the Udon Thani area? Not sure if the government yards are more reasonable than the private ones. This might be worth looking into as well.

Thanks

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    Gents Teak seems to get mentioned a lot but surely not all the house needs to be Teak.There is a website called Thailanna home who pre build Teak houses but state in there details section that they use Mai Deng for the carrying beams and floors because it is not subjected to weathering and is just as hard wearing. Ben I would be interested to know if you have used any of this material in your build or if any of my more learned fellow teakdoorers have used Mai deng in there constructions. Im not sure of the price difference between the two but believe Mai Deng is cheaper.I built some new stairs for the in-laws during my last visit but was recommended to use Teak because they are exposed to the elements and Mai Deng would not be suitable for the task. I could use Mai Deng for internal or less exposed areas but like a pillock forgot to ask the price difference.
    BD
    Last edited by bankao dreamer; 14-11-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Mae Deng is a lot cheaper

It can be subject to termite attack, unlike teak, so you have to take precautions

it is better for structural beams etc as it is stronger than teak

the floor planks can be anything, but that depends on your taste as they will be on display

some people swear by teak, others prefer some other woods..lots of choice
    I have reported your post

Last Online
    Thanks for the info Dr andy much appreciated.
    BD

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-07-2018 @ 10:23 AM
    I would agree with both of you, lots of wood, lots of choice.

If there is one bit of advice i could give based on my experience, it would be to go and look at some local houses. Find the builders who made the house you like, ask them where they get there wood, get in your car and go look for yourself. Look and write down the numbers people give you, and compare. Understand that there is no particular right answer for what is best, just what you like and what you can afford.

Teak is expensive to buy from yards because yard owners know its worth, but you can use it decoratively rather then everywhere and not structurally. I think if your house is small, then use teak, its an investment and you want your home to last.

I am no expert clearly but i have gained greater knowledge by getting stuck in, you make mistakes and you dont make them again, just dont make them expensive ones.

thailannahomes is expensive and forced me to go look for wood, in truth that was far cheaper, but in this process i have found even cheaper ways to make wood buildings.

But these I will keep for myself at this time. It really isnt that much of a secret....

cheers guys
    im hot its so hot today.......milk was a bad choice!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Agreed........It depends on what you are looking for and how much effort you are willing to put into it. Also how much time you have to research. I think both of you have taken the best approach for your particular needs. For me, I will be looking at both approaches to compare since I have the time. So far it is making the most sense to look at the yards for posts and building wood. If I want teak, I will take if from a house and more than likely wind up with some of the posts and buidling wood and may have to buy some wood from the yards to complete the build. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I do agree that one has to seek out all the options to find the best solution. Once I start to build the actual structure, I will start my own thread to let everyone know what I have decided. It is great to have all of you giving your ideas and offering solutions I never even knew about or thought of. For now, I will be expanding my pond and begin the hunt for old houses, wood yards and a reliable builder. No small task........

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk
    but in this process i have found even cheaper ways to make wood buildings. But these I will keep for myself at this time
    make them smaller?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Not smaller, as such, I suppose traditional ie. Not western.

Our place is massive,(well for us anyway) this is my first house, as I'm a youngster so have only had flats etc before.

We have about 320 sqm but with room to add more as and when.

The secret is tied into the more you look the more you find.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Sounds like you did a lot of looking......

Last Online
    More photos please Ben.
    BD

Thailand Expat

Last Online

more pics of the house as requested.

some up floor shots:

And there we go we have stopped for now, the roof is on and most of the floor is complete. We are working on some change of plans to move the back section kitchen into the main building and turn this space into 2 bed and 2 ensuites.This will give views of Doi suthep and the mountian from the bedrooms sitting on top of each other, they will overlook the back garden and mountains. So we are getting the architect to draw something up in January and then hopefully when we find some wood we like that we will fill the walls, windows and doors with.

We hope to start work again in feb/march funds willing, and then more pics and more information to boot.

over and out until the new year. cheers

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Looks like your house is coming along! Please keep in mind that if the house is going to sit there while the funds accumulate, some of the wood will attract insects.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Good pics and I hope you are able to resume construction soon. You are doing a great job so far and look forward to your progress.

Last Online
    Thanks for the photos Ben, I am just doing some calculations for our house what spacings have you got for the floor supports ?
    Thanks once again BD

Last Online
    15-08-2012 @ 11:30 PM
    Good pics and I hope you are able to resume construction soon. You are doing a great job so far and look forward to your progress.[/quote]

i wish,
    i think a traditional teak house is far better ,
    than the barret type modern houses .

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Looks like your house is coming along! Please keep in mind that if the house is going to sit there while the funds accumulate, some of the wood will attract insects.
    Cheers Hillbilly i like what you've done with your places and have watched your threads wit interest.
    The main builder is a good friend and lives only 800 m away he looks after the place and checks for intruders, of all kinds, and we make sure he gets paid appropriately.

We are hoping to start again in the new year, but we are using 30-40 year old teak on a lot of the house, so its not too big a risk.

cheers anyway.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by bankao dreamer View Post
    Thanks for the photos Ben, I am just doing some calculations for our house what spacings have you got for the floor supports ?
    Thanks once again BD
    Hang on, let me recap in my head ........ok.

Between the width of the house the spans are 2.5 m, but length ways they range from 2.5 to 3 m, which runs pretty much how the old house did. We had to change the width of the house, because we only had a certain width to the land and needed to leave 1.5 meter to the perimeter. The floor joists themselves i have no idea this was down to the builder and i wasnt there at the end to see this done, but to guess from the picture about 35-38 cm to each joist.

I love the floor, and all the floorboards have been re planed and toungue and grooved for better fitting without spaces.

hope this helps?

cheers to everyone for the interest. I was 26 when i started this and i think it will be getting close to my 28th when we finish completely, but its been a very fantastic journey.

Last Online
    Yes Ben thanks for the info I wouldnt worry about how long its taken you, I would look forward to the years of pleasure you and your family will enjoy living there.
    BD

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Thanks to everyone for their comments and help, It means a lot to have 5 stars to this thread. I dont think its for my story or exciting dialogue so i must presume is for the house, in which case i thank you all. We hope to finish sometime in summer 2011 and when we do i will post a lot more pics.

cheers have a merry xmas and happy new year.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by bart
    i think a traditional teak house is far better , than the barret type modern houses .
    obviously, but the choice is much wider than that!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I really like the idea of taking proven building materials that the Thai's have used over centuries and then tweaking them to suit our needs like Ben, Dr. A and others. Teak was surely the building material of choice when it was readily available decades ago, but now it is overpriced. Really do like the grain of teak and the fact that it repels termites, but there are a lot of other hard woods that can work as building materials. Looking at some of the building threads will show the use of these woods and materials. Personally, I would like to use as much wood as possible and that my pocketbook will allow, but I think we can learn a lot from local builders and how they have used what was available. There are now some good alternatives and upgrades that I plan to use but keep the overall floorplan of a typical Thai house. Farangs do have something to offer by bringing technology and building practices that can improve on the typical Thai house. I hope to create a hybrid like many have to be comfortable, keep the electric bill down and have a small ecological footprint.
    Great work Ben.....

Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 07:46 AM

No sustainable FCS-labelled Teak wood in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    I really like the idea of taking proven building materials that the Thai's have used over centuries and then tweaking them to suit our needs [...]
    I also like the traditional layout of the Thai house because its suits well the tropical climate. I like wood but must wooden Thai houses are too dark inside.

The main problem in Thailand with Teak and other hardwood is that there are no sustainable resources available. To my knowledge there is no single FCS-labelled Teak or other wood plantation in Thailand.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Exactly my point. Teak is nice and a good building material, but now we rely on recycled teak that Thais obtain from old houses, rice barns, bridges, etc. Since we farangs seem to be the ones who drive the demand, the Thai's have figured out to raise its worth to a level where only westerners are the buyers. So we need to look for something else with similar qualities but without the inflated expense.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Hello, Once again we have found the money to hopefully finish off what we started, so bear with me as will be heading back in February for building to commence.

In the menatime i was wondering if anyone had any advice on electrics?

Can you get someone from the Thai electrical board to come and do your electrics, or to either check the electricians wire/Earthed standard they should now be practising or is this not possible?

Does anyone have any other advice on this.

We will have:
    Bathroom:
    2 bathrooms 2 shower heaters 3.5kw
    Kitchen:
    2 fridge (1 up, 1 down)
    Rice cooker
    Lounges:
    2 pc
    1 laptop
    Wireless router
    3 tvs (all led lcd tv) (2 in bedrooms)

All lights will be led g10 3 watts, everywhere in the house.

Many thanks as the electrics is the one thing i just cant seem to get my head around??????

cheers

ON with the build.......

Last Online
    Check out jandajoy. he is having the electrics done on his build now Ben. The thread is called BUYING SOME WOOD TO EXTEND THAI HOUSE.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information