Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast
    Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-07-2018 @ 10:23 AM
    some pics for your pleasure:

Roof construction....

Well i tried but i dont seem to be able copy image location anymore and no pics will paste to insert image????????

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Looking good ben and some of that woodwork looks very good. As mentioned get a decent civil engineer to check the roof loading just to be sure.

Great thread and I reckon your house will be magic when it is finished.

Keep us up to date with plenty of pictures mate.
    Yes i will i want to be sure, do you know if i just go to our local government office?

Many thanks for the comments to all you guys!

Some things have changed in regards to plans, we have had some thoughts about the layout and we are moving stuff around, when i get some plans sorted and the ability to load pics......i will give you a taste!
    im hot its so hot today.......milk was a bad choice!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk
    Yes i will i want to be sure, do you know if i just go to our local government office?
    I expect you have applied for building permission papers and drawings which should have been rated and certified by a government civil engineer.

If you have moved the floor plans and main support layout you should get someone to double check the dynamic roof top load rating. Just looking at the construction I have no doubt the static top load is OK but when it gets windy side way (lateral) stress levels can be severe.
    Last edited by Loy Toy; 01-11-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    I expect you have applied for building permission papers and drawings which should have been rated and certified by a government civil engineer.

If you have moved the floor plans and main support layout you should get someone to double check the dynamic roof top load rating. Just looking at the construction I have no doubt the static top load is OK but when it gets windy side way (lateral) stress levels can be severe.
    We have building permissions granted and these were done and certified from the architects plans.
    But we had changed from Clay tiles to concrete, and more support has been added to each truss to strengthen it for this reason.
    The floor plans haven't moved or changed, we are changing the internal spaces and walls, which wont affect the houses load weights, because all the structure is as you know supported by the posts and not wall bearing.

For instance we had a massive kitchen that was an open terrace to the views of the mountains, but we have now changed this to a 2 level area for the bedrooms and en-suites. The posts and roof were already laid to take the load of this, but we will get it checked by our architect redesign when we are back.

Thanks for the info and the insights, im really happy with the build overall, the cost has been surprising and for what we will have i dont think i will ever consider anything other then wood housing. Its practical use and adaptability is second to none.

cheers guys more photos to come and some plans....

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    Ben when you do the walls have you considered using Shera wood effect plank ?. There is a house in our village that is clad in this. It looks good and is quite cost effective. I am seriously considering using this product when I build our humble abode. looking forward to the next lot of photos. One more thing I used to be a plumber in another life so if you need any advice please let me know.
    B.D

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bankao dreamer
    Ben when you do the walls have you considered using Shera wood effect plank ?.

It is horrible

It may look OK when first put up but worsens with age, unlike real wood

a bit like the McDonalds of cladding

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    thanks for the reply Dr Andy, wood it is then.

Last Online
    26-10-2012 @ 10:58 PM
    I looked at their website, they have light weight tiles for the roof and floor planks too. The light weight tile Roman style doesn't look too bad in my opinion. Don't know about the price.

really nice thread, keep it up and good luck!

Thailand Expat

Last Online

The concrete tiles were a strange thing to get to, as we had gone through every conceivable roofing material. From wood, to clay to concrete board and metal....we happened to go out to a beautiful garden out sameong way, and we noticed these stiking wood resorts being built. They had these clay tiles on them and we thought that they looked really elegant and striking. But we hadnt a clue about where they had come from? When we were out on our way to Central Airport we passed a tile place and i saw these concrete tiles, the big price sticker shocked me more 218 badt!!!! I thought we had to go and have a look, so we did and we thought how much money we cold save and still have a reliable solid roof and interesting feature as the roof is so big. Here below you can see delivery of the tiles, the great thing about chiangmai is everything is less then 5 km away and takes no time to get to where they need to be.

The house is nearly complete on the main roof and just needs the edging tiles to complete, then its onto the front sala roof.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    some websites for finding wood houses

http://www.pantown.com/x_group.php?id=43324&area=3

·Õè´Ô¹ ¢Ò·Õè´Ô¹ ºéÒ¹áÅзÕè´Ô¹ «×éÍ¢Ò·Õè´Ô¹ ºéÒ¹·Õè´Ô¹ ¢Ò·Õè ÅèÒÊØ´ - ·Õè´Ô¹´Õ´Õ.¤ÍÁ

ิิิบ้านไม้เก่า typing this in google will give you broad results if you add your destination and sale then this would be more specific.

hope this helps!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Looking for Wood House to buy

Quote Originally Posted by baby maker View Post
    Have a wooden house, in Non Bor Sar via Non Han, Udon Thani which would be available.....understand price indication, difficult without inspection....see the range you were shopping in was200k to 600k...understood from your posts, trust correctly, you were interested in a second house.

If you have an interest, will scratch up some pics and post....

If you have done your shopping....perhaps you could forward the websites you considered most helpful...or any wholesale buyers for that matter.

Thanking you in advance,
    baby maker...
    Is this house still available? Looking for a house in the Udon area to buy for wood. My plot is 19km toward Lambualampoo (sp?) and is 4 rai. Have been reading many wood house threads for everyone's input and decided buying an old existing house for the wood is the way to go. Like Dr. Andy's approach and will use my own design ideas along with everyone's input for the final product. I will post some pics one I am ready to build, but right now need some wood.

thanks

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Builder and Wood

Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    This is a great thread and I would be interested to know more details since I will be looking to build a similar project very soon in the Udon Thani area. The house is looking good so far and finding a builder is 60% of the battle. Thanks for all the great pics and progress notes.

The first builders we had came from 200km away, but they were very demanding and we got rid of them. A tricky situation but a gut feeling that has probably saved us loads!
    Our builder is local (800m) and he is one of the nicest guys ive met, a true professional and an amazing craftsman. Builder is probably 70% of the struggles you'll have with building so having someone who can sympathise with your needs and budget is important.
    We got our Teak wood from a house in Phrae, Its a place i would recommend as a starting point. Northern provinces have de constructed wood houses for sale in lumbar yards and these can prove to very good as well.

Get your plan, and then find your posts and you cant go far wrong.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info....I will be heading for Udon in January and will be putting feelers out for both a builder and an old wood house to buy for posts and wood. I might even take a quick trip to Phrae. Any names you can give me in Phrae to contact so I don't get the run around one I am there? My wife lives ouside Udon and her older brother has worked in constuction, but not a master builder. He does know some builders in the area and would be a good person to help coordinate things. You are showing good progress and should wind up with a very nice place.
    Thanks

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    This is a great thread and I would be interested to know more details since I will be looking to build a similar project very soon in the Udon Thani area. The house is looking good so far and finding a builder is 60% of the battle. Thanks for all the great pics and progress notes.

The first builders we had came from 200km away, but they were very demanding and we got rid of them. A tricky situation but a gut feeling that has probably saved us loads!
    Our builder is local (800m) and he is one of the nicest guys ive met, a true professional and an amazing craftsman. Builder is probably 70% of the struggles you'll have with building so having someone who can sympathise with your needs and budget is important.
    We got our Teak wood from a house in Phrae, Its a place i would recommend as a starting point. Northern provinces have de constructed wood houses for sale in lumbar yards and these can prove to very good as well.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info....I will be heading for Udon in January and will be putting feelers out for both a builder and an old wood house to buy for posts and wood. I might even take a quick trip to Phrae. Any names you can give me in Phrae to contact so I don't get the run around one I am there? My wife lives ouside Udon and her older brother has worked in constuction, but not a master builder. He does know some builders in the area and would be a good person to help coordinate things. You are showing good progress and should wind up with a very nice place.
    Thanks
    I think you should take a look at Phrae, its a pretty dull place but if you like wood buildings it has a good range. They are normally well known for big posts, sometimes they can be ridiculous in that the posts almost make a space underneath squeezed to nothing and unusable. Its a Thai thing that says look my posts are massive im well off !?!?!?!

Anyway i think you cant go wrong with a local builder, in that if it goes wrong he isnt going to go back to his home town to escape. If you know where he lives and he knows you know that, he'll be more careful about what happens on site. make sure you get a contract signed with a breakdown of costs, and hopefully you wont go far wrong.

hope this helps!

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Here are some more pictures:

Here you can see a more complete roof with all the ends on including front sala.

From far away you can see the roof and its BIG!

You can see the front steps start to come together which will be covered by a roof and have seating on the top main sala and the lower deck too.

A rare glimpse at one of the guys working on the wood, all the builders who worked on the wood were old and all the people on the concrete were young, i suppose that says a lot!

You can see the joists and how thick they are, all are teak and we were very lucky that 99% were in good condition from the old house.

Looking into the roof i like how the wood matched with light concrete roof tiles and the varying subtleties are very charming.

This shows some amazing craftsmanship and floor boards going in, they were the previous floorboards and have been tongue and grooved by the builder to fit better without splits. This is where we started to realise how lucky we were to get this builder and he has become a good friend and neighbor.

Roof complete on Sala, a nice view from down here to up there!!!!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by baby maker View Post
    Have a wooden house, in Non Bor Sar via Non Han, Udon Thani which would be available.....understand price indication, difficult without inspection....see the range you were shopping in was200k to 600k...understood from your posts, trust correctly, you were interested in a second house.

If you have an interest, will scratch up some pics and post....

If you have done your shopping....perhaps you could forward the websites you considered most helpful...or any wholesale buyers for that matter.

Thanking you in advance,
    baby maker...
    Is this house still available? Looking for a house in the Udon area to buy for wood. My plot is 19km toward Lambualampoo (sp?) and is 4 rai. Have been reading many wood house threads for everyone's input and decided buying an old existing house for the wood is the way to go. Like Dr. Andy's approach and will use my own design ideas along with everyone's input for the final product. I will post some pics one I am ready to build, but right now need some wood.

thanks
    Get a local house as they are much, much cheaper here than in the north of Thailand. Oh, and it's Nong Bua Lamphu.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I think buying an old house is challenging, and i would say you would be better to have a design from an architect and then to buy the wood from a yard. Far cheaper to do this, far easier and will give you a better result.

Without question this would have saved us about £3-5000 overall and when we are spending £28,000 thats a lot.

Its much easier to go to a yard, haggle with the yard owner and have a look at a lot of wood rather have to go through the trials of wood house buying (especially if in Phrae)!

There are for example; door and window yards, and then there are posts and floorboards and wall yards, and then you have the yard that sells all of the above.

Take a look and do it local, as mentioned by others. local style is important, our is Lanna styled inside very traditional, with a change on the roof.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    They are normally well known for big posts, sometimes they can be ridiculous in that the posts almost make a space underneath squeezed to nothing and unusable. Its a Thai thing that says look my posts are massive im well off !?!?!?!
    I think most of those that use the massive posts are merely saving them for a rainy day, a great investment

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I think buying an old house is challenging, and i would say you would be better to have a design from an architect and then to buy the wood from a yard. Far cheaper to do this, far easier and will give you a better result.
    I agree that it is more difficult to buy an old house, but if you are careful, you can get the wood you want for a lot less than buying from a yard (I presume you mean reclaimed timber). The yard buys houses, breaks them up and resells the bits, so add their profit.

I am not sure why you say you will get a better result....why?

whatever, your house is coming on fine, looks good
    I have reported your post

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Cheers
    Thanks
    I think you should take a look at Phrae, its a pretty dull place but if you like wood buildings it has a good range. They are normally well known for big posts, sometimes they can be ridiculous in that the posts almost make a space underneath squeezed to nothing and unusable. Its a Thai thing that says look my posts are massive im well off !?!?!?!

Anyway i think you cant go wrong with a local builder, in that if it goes wrong he isnt going to go back to his home town to escape. If you know where he lives and he knows you know that, he'll be more careful about what happens on site. make sure you get a contract signed with a breakdown of costs, and hopefully you wont go far wrong.

hope this helps!
    I will plan to take trip over to the Phrae area in January to see what they have. I don't need any night life since the little lady and my son will be with. Do you remember seeing any teak wall panels while you were there? If so, any idea of the cost? I am thinking about building most of the house from good wood, but if I can buy some pre-made teak wall panels, I would use them for the outside walls of the second story.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here are some more pictures:

Here you can see a more complete roof with all the ends on including front sala.

From far away you can see the roof and its BIG!

You can see the front steps start to come together which will be covered by a roof and have seating on the top main sala and the lower deck too.

A rare glimpse at one of the guys working on the wood, all the builders who worked on the wood were old and all the people on the concrete were young, i suppose that says a lot!

You can see the joists and how thick they are, all are teak and we were very lucky that 99% were in good condition from the old house.

Looking into the roof i like how the wood matched with light concrete roof tiles and the varying subtleties are very charming.

This shows some amazing craftsmanship and floor boards going in, they were the previous floorboards and have been tongue and grooved by the builder to fit better without splits. This is where we started to realise how lucky we were to get this builder and he has become a good friend and neighbor.

Roof complete on Sala, a nice view from down here to up there!!!!!
    Great pics............Keep em comin.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    I agree that it is more difficult to buy an old house, but if you are careful, you can get the wood you want for a lot less than buying from a yard (I presume you mean reclaimed timber). The yard buys houses, breaks them up and resells the bits, so add their profit.

I am not sure why you say you will get a better result....why?

whatever, your house is coming on fine, looks good
    Hi Dr. A,

I would disagree with you, on the whole i havent found it cheaper at all to buy a house(in fact i could have saved a lot of money not buying the whole house. for starters you have to find the house, then dismantle it, then move it and then be in the same position as just buying the wood already dismantled in a yard.

However you wont lose wood from the move when it is broken, no matter how careful. Also not all wood from the house can be used normally only 80 to 90% so you will get 10% wasted from the start.

However even for arguments sake if it were the same price, the ease of going to a yard and hand picking of the shelf (so to speak) is much easier and with a good builder it would be easy to calculate costs.

I can only think of one point that makes your point valid which we found, which was that if we wanted Teak your situation is more true as to buy that from a yard it would be far more then if you got it from some old teak house in the country.

Im not trying to argue with you i have just found this out to be true from my experiences.

The yard might add profit but that's only the same relevant cost to the amount you might pay for a builder to de-construct the building, ship and be in exactly the same position as the yard. You just dont have the stress of doing it yourself.

Why is this better? I would say experience tells me so, as i have outlined above.

Though as a final point clearly this is a generalisation and there are some instances where buying a house will be cheaper, i doubt however less stressful!!!!!!

Thailand Expat

Last Online

Cheers
    Thanks

hope this helps!
    I will plan to take trip over to the Phrae area in January to see what they have. I don't need any night life since the little lady and my son will be with. Do you remember seeing any teak wall panels while you were there? If so, any idea of the cost? I am thinking about building most of the house from good wood, but if I can buy some pre-made teak wall panels, I would use them for the outside walls of the second story.
    My wife and son came with me and tough we went to the 100 pillar house and such we were still bored mindless. Good eating though!! Wall panels are not a big thing in the north especially in Phrae, it is only the more expensive that have pre-made panels. This is something you can get done but i dont know as much about this.

Teak will always be expensive, and only if your lucky will you find good teak at a good price. Your style sounds more middle Thailand Ayutthya style which i know but am not experienced on, we are building in a Lanna style. However you can make what ever style you want if you buy the wood from a yard, and there are some really good yards in Lamphum, Lampang and Chiangmai. You can get posts and whole houses in Phrae only, but the price here is still very good.

I was looking at a big house with 3.5 meter high posts, i could just get my arms round the posts and the timbers were thick cut, all in all nice. 2 bedroom big living area uptop 300,000 badt.

I think that says it all.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I can only think of one point that makes your point valid which we found, which was that if we wanted Teak your situation is more true as to buy that from a yard it would be far more then if you got it from some old teak house in the country.
    that was the only point I was making! it is cheaper to get teak from an old house

what are you saying? or are you talking about other woods? I also found they were a lot cheaper too

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I was looking at a big house with 3.5 meter high posts, i could just get my arms round the posts and the timbers were thick cut, all in all nice. 2 bedroom big living area uptop 300,000 badt. I think that says it all
    sounds very cheap

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Lots of good stuff here..........I will look at both the available yards and old houses to compare the pros and cons. I think it depends on what you are looking for and where you find it whether one is cheaper over the other and by researching both, it give me a better idea of which way to go. I plan to build most of the house out of good wood and may or may not panel the outside with teak, depending on what I find and how much I want to pay. I have seen plenty of teak houses, but most are out of my budget range. You just never know what is out there until you start looking. I will keep you posted........

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread Information