R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Phuket Vegetarian Festival underway

Phuket Vegetarian Festival underway

A devotee rakes his torso with lighted joss sticks at Jui Tui Shrine in Phuket Town yesterday. Photo by Apinun Saitong.

PHUKET: The Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2010 officially got underway with the arrival of the new moon early this morning.

Activities to welcome down the Nine Chinese Warrior Gods from their celestial realm actually took place last night with the raising of go teng poles at participating Chinese shrines, most of which are located in or near Phuket Town.

There will be a special ceremony at the central stage area at Saphan Hin starting at 5pm tomorrow to wish health and happiness to HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej. It is the first time such an event has been held in the festival’s 185-year history.

For a list of upcoming street processions click here.

Results of the “snap poll” posted on Monday reveal that a majority (52.4%) of Phuket Gazette online readers said they were “not looking forward” to the festival.

About half this number (26.8%) said they were looking forward to it. Another 20.7% said they were indifferent because they were not in Phuket.

There was a sharp demographic divide. Some 48% those who identified themselves as Thai said they were looking forward to the festival, compared to just 25% of those who identified themselves as local foreign residents.

For the complete poll results click here.

Any readers with unique photos capturing the spirit of the festival are encouraged to share them with fellow readers by sending them to: news[at]phuketgazette.net

Phuket Gazette

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    Is it safe to say, judging from the picture, that vegetarians have to be careful to be sure they get enough calcium?

Love Thailand
    Last Online
    03-01-2021 @ 05:50 AM
    Need to save that photo to show my vegetarian son, best argument I've seen yet to get him to eat meat

Last Online
    @
    i went a few years back, and it was pretty interesting.

but it was really crowded.....and there was far too much blood.

Last Online
    20-03-2011 @ 07:45 PM
    Like Songkran, what was a positive offering to the luxury of living perverts into a frenzy of violence.

I am seriously beginning to believe Thai are quite possibly void of any kind of ... conscience.
    To solicit others to impale themselves for fun and show..

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    anyting for a baht.

Thread Information