Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

British passport renewal in Thailand

Well the time has come and from earlier this month the British embassy in Bangkok no longer does passport renewals, they will re issue/renew lost/stolen or damaged passports though, it is now a 4 week turn around to get your new passport where as it used to be 10 days and has to be done in Hong Kong, the fun bit is of course that you have to pay by credit card, either master card or visa, no they don't accept debit cards, or you can pay by International Bankers Draft which must be made out in Hong Kong Dollars, makes it all that bit more exciting I suppose, as my passport is nearly full I shall probably just go to Hong Kong although they say you may have to queue for up to 2 hours to get into the British Consulate-General and to go through the security screening area. In addition, you may have to wait up to 3 hours to see a passport officer.

Saying that my mate was there a couple of months ago to get a passport renewal for his daughter and there was no queue.

From the Hong Kong Consulate.

We recommend that you send your passport application to us by post. This will help you avoid the queue to see a Passport Officer. In busy periods, this waiting time can be up to two hours, or longer.

We also recommend that you arrange for your new passport to be sent to you by post (in Hong Kong, we use the Hong Kong Post registered service). We will send you your new passport as soon as it is ready.

Did you know that you can renew your passport 9 months before it is due to expire? Any remaining validity on your old passport will be added to your new passport, up to a maximum 9 months. (Thus adult renewals can be valid for 10 years 9 months, and child renewals can be valid for 5 years 9 months).

What to submit

To apply for a UK passport in Hong Kong you must submit:
    • your completed passport form
    • your 2 identical passport photographs
    • your current passport with a photocopy of the bio-data page
    • for first time applications we require your original supporting documents
    • your original Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card with a photocopy (for BN(O) passport applications only)
    • the correct passport fees in Hong Kong Dollars
    • the correct courier fees in Hong Kong Dollars (if you wish your new passport to be returned to you by courier)
    Applying by post

Completed applications and relevant supporting documents should be sent to:
    The Passport Section
    British Consulate-General
    1 Supreme Court Road
    Hong Kong
    We recommend that you send the application by registered courier service such as Hong Kong Post, United Parcel Service (UPS), DHL or Fedex.
    If you are sending your passport application by post, you must pay the exact passport fee(s) and courier fee (if applicable) by credit card (download a credit card authorisation form), or by Cashier's Order from any registered Hong Kong bank made payable to: British Consulate-General Hong Kong only. Please do not send payment by cash in the post. The British Consulate-General cannot be held responsible for any cash or packages being lost in the post.

Please note however, you may be called for an interview if you fall under any of these categories:
    • Your passport expired more than 5 years ago,
    • You wish to amend any personal details, such as your name, except on marriage,
    • You are applying for your first British passport (and are over the age of 16),
    • Your previous passport has been lost or stolen.
    Special note for Macao residents: we are now able to accept postal applications from Macao residents. Please click here for details of all passport and courier fees in pound sterling and in Hong Kong dollars. Please note that for the return courier fee, Macao is in Zone 1.

Applying in person

Please note that during the summer period (June to September), demand for public services (this includes passport, consular and visa services), increases dramatically. If you choose to apply for your passport in person during this period, you may have to queue for up to 2 hours to get into the British Consulate-General and to go through the security screening area. In addition, you may have to wait up to 3 hours to see a passport officer. We strongly recommend that you apply by post during this very busy period.
    If you still prefer to apply in person, our address is:
    The British Consulate-General
    1 Supreme Court Road
    Hong Kong

The entrance to the Passport Section is located on Justice Drive. Please also see How to find us.

Opening hours for passport applications and collections:
    08.30–13.30, Monday to Friday, excluding holidays

Please note that all visitors to the British Consulate-General are security screened and asked to provide proof of identity. Cameras and mobile phones are not permitted within the building (they may be left with the security guards at the entrance on Justice Drive). The use of lap-tops is not permitted in the building. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience this may cause. We regret that there is no on-site parking available.
    Passport services at our office

At our office in Hong Kong you can:
    • collect passport application forms
    • collect the LS01 form to report your passport lost or stolen
    • pay your passport fee in person by credit card, EPS, or by Cashier's Order from any registered Hong Kong bank made payable to: British Consulate-General Hong Kong.
    • submit your passport application form in person.
    Processing your passport application

For customers renewing a passport: we aim to return your new passport within 4 weeks. This time frame does not take into account any delays which may occur with local post or courier services. Applications can also take longer during busy times of the year.

If you are applying for a passport for the first time (this includes customers who are changing their name other than by marriage or replacing old blue books, or for lost or stolen passports), you should allow at least 6 weeks for processing.

Our staff will not be able to process your application or there may be a delay issuing your passport if:
    • you have used the wrong form or completed it incorrectly
    • you do not provide the correct fee
    • you do not include the correct postal or courier charge
    • your photographs do not meet the required standards

Customers should not make any travel arrangements until their new passport is received, as the British Consulate-General cannot be held responsible for costs incurred as a result of disrupted travel plans.
    Enquiries

All passport enquiries are handled by Careline Services Limited through their Passport Information Helpline. If you have a passport enquiry, which cannot be answered through the information on our passport web page, please contact Careline.

Refunds

No refunds will be issued for unsuccessful or fraudulent passport applications, or for any application which is withdrawn before it is completed.
    Interview

From May 2007 the UK Identity Passport Service (IPS) introduced compulsory interviews for all first time adult applicants in the UK. This was designed to help stop fraudulent passport applications by improving the integrity and security of British passports. Please go to our Passport interviews page for more information.
    Urgent Travel

A large number of our applicants need to travel quickly. In fairness to all our customers, applications are dealt with in the order in which they are received. However, we accept and understand that in an emergency for example after sudden death or unexpected illness in the family, we will try to help where we can. Please note that a business journey or holiday does not constitute an emergency.
    In such circumstances, if we are unable to provide you with a full passport in time and you are travelling back to the UK or on to certain Commonwealth and EU countries (approval permitting), we can issue an Emergency Passport. This allows the holder a one-way journey to his or her destination where a replacement passport can be obtained in slower time at the nearest British passport issuing office.

From the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Changes to passport service in Bangkok

From 9 August onwards, we will not be accepting applications to renew British Passports at this Embassy.

In line with other British Embassies across Asia these applications will be processed by our Regional Processing Centre in Hong Kong. This will not affect the present four week turn-around time expected.

If you are applying for a British Passport for the first time, or your passport is lost/stolen or damaged (and are not renewing your present passport), we will continue to accept your applications at this Embassy.

Further information will be available via this website in the coming weeks. In the meantime further information about changes to our overseas passport service can be found on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
    Process for passports is changing

What has changed?

Passports for British Nationals are no longer processed in Bangkok. They are processed and printed centrally in our Regional Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong.
    Why is this happening?

These changes are part of a global initiative to streamline the overseas passport operation; to reduce administration costs while improving security and maintaining a high quality of customer service.
    How long will it take?

For customers renewing a passport: you should allow four weeks from when you send us your application. This time frame does not take into account any delays which may occur with local post or courier services. Applications can also take longer during busy times of the year.

If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you should allow at least six weeks from when you send us your application. (This includes customers who are changing their name other than by marriage or replacing old blue books, lost or stolen passports).
    Should you need to travel urgently the British Embassy will still be able to issue a travel document for emergency purposes.
    Does it work?

From a recent customer surveys in the Nordic network we have received the following feedback:
    Very user friendly, No problems very smooth, Quicker than anticipated.
    In parts of the world where this service has been introduced, it has been a great success. Washington is producing passports for the whole of the Americas and Wellington covers all of Australasia with excellent results. Over 6000 passports produced per month with 90% of them in a 10 day period.
    Overall Cost

If you apply for a British passport overseas you can expect to pay:
    • for your passport (the fee is the same worldwide).
    • The cost of sending your application to us (as you would in the UK)
    • For the secure return of your passport and documents.

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Renewed my UK passport in 48 hours by going down to KL in Malaysia !

No problem !

This was in 2005 and maybe things have changed

May be worth having a look at this option though .

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    ^Sod that, my mates bought a place in Paradise Bay, I want to see how the other half live

The Pikey Hunter
    Last Online
    @
    Surely sending your passport abroad (even if it is for renewal) is in breach of Thai Immigration laws?

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    its all ok if your apearance has not changed in 10 years - unlikely-and the passport is in pristine condition ,also unlikely as its just 2 bits of cardboard with blotting paper inside.

Last Online
    15-01-2017 @ 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    If you apply for a British passport overseas you can expect to pay:
    • for your passport (the fee is the same worldwide).
    • The cost of sending your application to us (as you would in the UK)
    • For the secure return of your passport and documents.
    UK:
    Table of passport fees, how to pay and refunds : Directgov - Travel and transport
    Renew or
    amend an
    existing adult
    passport**
    £77.50

Hong Kong:
    :Passport fees
    Standard Passport (32 pages)

GBP: £128

Not quite "the same" then. Or perhaps the UK is now outside worldwide ....

Can't someone have a go at this lot for providing blatantly incorrect and misleading info?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    Unreasonable Government twats are all the same. Bureaucracy is a menace.

FarangRed
    Thats a pain in the arse now

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Passport renewals

"In addition to your completed application form, photos and fee, you will need to submit a clear photocopy of the data page of your previous passport."

So you only need a photocopy of someone's passport and you can apply for a renewal and get their old passport cancelled.

Last Online
    18-09-2013 @ 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post
    Passport renewals

"In addition to your completed application form, photos and fee, you will need to submit a clear photocopy of the data page of your previous passport."

So you only need a photocopy of someone's passport and you can apply for a renewal and get their old passport cancelled.

Wrong. If you're applying for a renewal you need to return the old passport to Hong Kong if not you'll have to apply for a lost or stolen passport at the British Embassy in Bangkok with no doubt endless delays and procrastination as is their norm.

Anyway, I sent mine off to HK at 1pm yesterday and it was delivered in HK 11am this morning so will keep everyone informed when it returns or any problems encountered.

Watch this space.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpui
    Wrong. If you're applying for a renewal you need to return the old passport to Hong Kong
    It's nice to be stupid, hope all goes well.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 04:12 PM
    I had no problems with the new system, it was returned bang on the 10 days. They do not send your old passport with the application. So you are still legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil
    Surely sending your passport abroad (even if it is for renewal) is in breach of Thai Immigration laws?

Last Online
    12-10-2022 @ 12:21 AM
    Think it's been farmed out to central locations world wide to save them money.

I got one of the last passports to be processed at the embassy in Stockholm last year (where I currently reside). From now onwards Brits living in mainland Europe have to apply to Düsseldorf with all the extra expense being passed onto the applicant of course.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-12-2022 @ 12:25 PM
    Mate of mine said he put it in on a Thursday and picked it on the next Tuesday. He was expecting a lot longer wait.

Sprayed On Member
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Pom
    They do not send your old passport with the application.
    Does this mean that you still have to go to the Embassy in Bangkok then? I was reading this as if you could just post it yourself.

Last Online
    03-12-2013 @ 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Did you know that you can renew your passport 9 months before it is due to expire? Any remaining validity on your old passport will be added to your new passport, up to a maximum 9 months. (Thus adult renewals can be valid for 10 years 9 months, and child renewals can be valid for 5 years 9 months).
    They have been doing this for sometime now, when I renewed mine in BKK Sept 07 I got 10Y 9M

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil
    I sent mine back to the UK after I informed immigration as I knew it wouldn't be back in time for my 90 day report. 90 day report has to be done in person where I live. The immigration office just told me to take photocopies and they'd accept them. To which they did.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Nostradamus
    It's not clear whether you have to send the original passport and a photocopy or just the photocopy.

Can someone that has renewed successfully please confirm.

Last Online
    11-07-2016 @ 12:42 PM

u.k. passport renewal

after reading about sending for renewal of u.k.passsport its unclear do we only send
    a photocopy of the passport, or both the passport and the copy can anyone give me
    answer or the best way to find out.

Last Online
    06-06-2012 @ 12:36 PM

30 day visa passport renewal

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone can help me with a question? I'm staying in Thailand on a 30 day visitors visa, how can i apply for a new passport? do i have to go in person to Hong Kong or can i do it via the post? the 4 week window will be very tight

thanks

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by swilton
    I'm staying in Thailand on a 30 day visitors visa
    Assuming that you mean a 30 day TVE stamp and not a visa then
    send a copy of your passport to Hong Kong.
    If it doesn't arrive in time then you will have to exit Thailand and re-enter to get another 30 or 15 day stamp.

Last Online
    @
    You will aslso have to go to immigration and get the TVE transferred between passports...

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    See this is an old thread. Anyone renewed recently?

Looking at the website:

Steps to renew your adult passport (for applicants over 16)

it is pretty clear that you do, indeed, need to send your current passport:

What Supporting documents do I need?
    You should submit the following documentation:
    • Current 10 year British Passport or child 5 year British passport if applying for your first adult passport. This must be the original passport, not a photocopy

as has been noted, I am pretty uncomfortable sending my passport out of the country - plus, four weeks is a f*ck of a long time to be without it!

Bloody useless embassy...

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    ^You should read the rest properly otherwise we might get retards like you sending their passports from Thailand, I recently renewed, unlike you and other retards I read the instructions, if you are in Thailand there is no need to send your passport.

Specific requirements from Thailand

ORIGINAL PASSPORT: Thailand is an exception to the main guidance given on our primary website. It is not advised to be without your original passport in Thailand and we recognise this. You may therefore submit a clear photocopy of your passport (just the page with your personal details and photograph). Please note that the passport being renewed will be electronically cancelled and is therefore not valid for use as a travel document from the moment you submit your application. On receipt of your new passport, you must physically cancel your old passport by cutting the corners of the photo page and the front and back covers. Failure to do so may leave your replaced passport open to abuse. Alternatively, you should visit the British Embassy in Bangkok to have your replaced passport physically cancelled. Please be aware when transferring your visas the Immigration Bureau may request a letter from the British Embassy.

How to apply from Thailand (Renewals)

Sometimes it is best if idiots just sit there quietly rather than typing shit on the internet nidnogg.

I am not a cat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    ^You should read the rest properly otherwise we might get retards like you sending their passports from Thailand, I recently renewed, unlike you and other retards I read the instructions, if you are in Thailand there is no need to send your passport.

(snip)

Sometimes it is best if idiots just sit there quietly rather than typing shit on the internet nidnogg.
    Sigh. Thank you DD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information