Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by MrG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    I found the info and link and thread. Thanks. If anyone wants to add any info on Obama's Czars, especially in comparison to other President's Czars, please add.....
    Please post that link.

I'm doing this from memory and is all subject to revision. The first Presidental Czar, as you probably know by now, was appointed by Reagan, (Drug Czar...? I don't remember) and was intended as a specially appointed Point Man to kill a designated problem. It wasn't a new concept, just a new name. The Czar word came to be used by other Presidents rather arbitrarily, if not capriciously. Kind of like the things we declare war on.
    MrG,

The thread is called "Obama's Czars" and can be found on search.

As for the first Czar, I do know that I guy with the last name Ickes, was the "Oil Czar" during WWII.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-10-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    I believe the term 'Tsar' or 'Czar' was first coined for Reagan's advisors . . . now they're seen as something sinister . . .

Crackpots, dervishes spinning themselves into a frenzy . . .

I am in Jail

Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    SoU address: fekin priceless. I laughed my a** off at the lies, deceit and chicanery for over an hour. I almost trashed my monitor when he mentioned Bull Run at the beginning tho -- fek you, buddy, you have no idea about the Civil War (nor the fact that the Union side was REPUBLICAN).
    More tomorrow. Gotta quit laughing so I can sleep. You've been owned libbies, and if you can't see it by now, you are truly blinkered.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat
    I believe the term 'Tsar' or 'Czar' was first coined for Reagan's advisors
    Quote Originally Posted by MrG
    The first Presidental Czar, as you probably know by now, was appointed by Reagan
    Sorry, MrG, didn't see your post

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    I believe the term 'Tsar' or 'Czar' was first coined for Reagan's advisors . . . now they're seen as something sinister . . .

Crackpots, dervishes spinning themselves into a frenzy . . .
    Not to be too technical, but a guy names Ikes was the "Oil Czar" during WW2.

That's the first time I've heard of the term, used.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Sorry, I thought your question related to President's advisors. Czars were , obviously, Russian rulers but no idea how the transition to 'contemporary' US came about

Last Online
    28-04-2013 @ 10:48 PM
    Was funny to hear Bozo's chief propaganda officer (Czar) Gibb's saying on Sunday how they are ready to work with the GOP. Don't make me laugh Groucho. The GOP has been shut out for a year. While Dems do back room deals, bribes & having votes at mignight on XMAS eve. Yeah real transparent.

Barry you lied last year in your speech. You lied this year.
    You Sir are a liar. You have no concept of keeping the promises that got you elected. You took cheap shots at the supreme court. Really when you roll around in the mud you merely confirm what we all know. You are a scoundrel - a bomb throwing radical like your pal Ayers. Impeachment coming soon.

One hour & 40 minutes of blathering. Your teleprompter needs an enema.
    Barack Hussein Obama lying polecat. Libs Only Comply With Laws They Agree With.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Early polls suggested that the President's speech had broadly found its mark: 78 per cent of respondents to a poll conducted by CNN described the President's speech as ''very positive'' or ''somewhat positive''.
    Barack Obama | State of the Union address

I won't be bothered watching it, but doesn't seem any surprises there.
    I thought his shot at the Supreme Court, whilst I totally agree with him, was a bit out order. Wrong venue.

Last Online
    @
    I watched the SOTU last night and BO did mostly say all the right things and verbalized some of the pain the populace is experiencing... Recognizing the problems and being able to do something about them are two different things...

I am in Jail

Last Online
    He LIED about job creation (2 mil? nobody knows, but he lost what, 6Mil?), he LIED when he said jobs were his key priority last year, he LIED about transparency, he LIED about tax cuts, and he LIED about being non-partisan. He still couldn't give it up on blaming Bush (like jobs lost in the past TWO years). He dissed the Supreme Court (as noted above), which is blasphemy in my book, he upset the military about gays, really said diddley about national security, and WTF is the trade crap with S Korea and Colombia?

Last Online
    @
    I didn't say he was telling the truth, only that he said the right things... Just as any good politician would do...

All the major 'news' networks had 1 - 2 hours of political commentary prior to the SOTU address... The partisanship was in high order on most of these shows with those for / against issues, BO, direction, poll numbers, policy, spending, etc... Pretty sad that US politics has been reduced to name-calling and hand-wringing...
    Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Last Online
    28-04-2013 @ 10:48 PM
    Ut O. The rookie president takes another slap to the head.

KSM WILL NOT be tried in NYC.

Nice try flip flop. Stop trying to defend terrorists.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Do you ever make any sense or sty on topic? Too difficult, isn't it.

So, what did anyone expect from the SOTU address? Irrespective of what was said, he was damned by the knuckledraggers and 'NO'-sayers . . .

Why do they hate their country so much? Why do they torpedo THEIR president in times of war??

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat
    Why do they hate their country so much? Why do they torpedo THEIR president in times of war??
    They want the levers of power back in their hands so they can continue the tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy. Secondarily, their pact with the Devil requires that they legalize preaching their God forsaken religious principals to innocent children in public schools, and generally terrorize the population with more "National Security State" propoganda to intimidate people into silence.

As far as torpedoing the President, if you saw their reaction to Obama's putting an end to foreign corporations spending money on American political campaigns (the reaction was no reaction), you can see that it's not the Country they are interested in.

This is not a hyperbolic rant. After discussions with a sampling of their ilk at work and elsewhere, this is what it is about for them, IMO.

What's frightening is that the American sheeple are quite capable of electing them again.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    10-03-2021 @ 11:52 AM
    "Fervent right-wingers simply don't like President Obama, so whatever he does will be criticized in those precincts."

~O' Reillys Talking Points, January 27, 2010 ~

Last Online
    @
    In case you were sleeping,..Omaba met with some Repubs today as he said he recently said he would,…………….

As I mentioned in the morning open thread, Obama planned to attend the "Issues Conference" of the House GOP Caucus this afternoon. Well, he did. Fortunately for all of us, the parties agreed to allow live coverage of the meeting. CNN covered the whole session (as did MSNBC, although I saw on twitter that FOX cut away early.)

It was very, very compelling television. There's going to be a lot of buzz about this appearance today. I have to say, Obama owned it.

Obama gave opening remarks, then took questions from a lot of GOP Representatives (some of the really nasty ones) including Mike Pence (IN), Jason Chaffetz (UT), Jeb Hensarling (TX), Marsha Blackburn (TN), Tom Price (GA), and Peter Roshkam (IL) among others.

The GOPers asked pretty typical questions. Some of them tried to play "gotcha." Didn't work. Obama answered their questions and provided his own commentary on them. He called Republicans out for their attacks on him. He noted that they've pretty much called his health care plan a "Bolshevik plot." One of the best moments was when Obama dissed Hensarling's question as a recitation of talking points.

Towards the end, Obama pointed to GOP pollster Frank Luntz, who was sitting in the front row. He noted that when many of the GOP Representatives stand on the House floor to talk issues, Luntz "has already polled it" -- and they get the talking points from him on how to box Obama in. The President kept going back to the theme that the GOPers were in a constant attack mode -- and how that prevented them from being able to work with him.

Obama was impressive. He was on the offense and didn't back down. That's the President we need to see. He looked like a leader -- a very smart leader.

C-Span Video of the entire meeting here, link: http://www.americablog.com/2010/01/must-see-tv-obama-and-gop.html
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Good, it's so easy for jackals to howl from a safe spot . . . I guess Obama showed them up for the cowardly sycophants they really are.

Last Online
    @
    ^He did do pretty good,....in a hostile environment

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    In case you were sleeping,..Omaba met with some Repubs today as he said he recently said he would,…………….

As I mentioned in the morning open thread, Obama planned to attend the "Issues Conference" of the House GOP Caucus this afternoon. Well, he did. Fortunately for all of us, the parties agreed to allow live coverage of the meeting. CNN covered the whole session (as did MSNBC, although I saw on twitter that FOX cut away early.)

It was very, very compelling television. There's going to be a lot of buzz about this appearance today. I have to say, Obama owned it.

Obama gave opening remarks, then took questions from a lot of GOP Representatives (some of the really nasty ones) including Mike Pence (IN), Jason Chaffetz (UT), Jeb Hensarling (TX), Marsha Blackburn (TN), Tom Price (GA), and Peter Roshkam (IL) among others.

The GOPers asked pretty typical questions. Some of them tried to play "gotcha." Didn't work. Obama answered their questions and provided his own commentary on them. He called Republicans out for their attacks on him. He noted that they've pretty much called his health care plan a "Bolshevik plot." One of the best moments was when Obama dissed Hensarling's question as a recitation of talking points.

Towards the end, Obama pointed to GOP pollster Frank Luntz, who was sitting in the front row. He noted that when many of the GOP Representatives stand on the House floor to talk issues, Luntz "has already polled it" -- and they get the talking points from him on how to box Obama in. The President kept going back to the theme that the GOPers were in a constant attack mode -- and how that prevented them from being able to work with him.

Obama was impressive. He was on the offense and didn't back down. That's the President we need to see. He looked like a leader -- a very smart leader.

C-Span Video of the entire meeting here, link: http://www.americablog.com/2010/01/must-see-tv-obama-and-gop.html

Are those your words, SL? Obama lashed out, IMO, coz he had to look tough. I'm sure the GOPers in the audience were quaking in their boots. Just a ruse to make the Amercan public think that the GOP is the problem. What's the prob with the GOP? The libbies don't need them to pass bills with a simple majority in the House or the Senate. The prob is within bamboy's own party. Any Dem with any brains is questioning his policy drives and whatever Pelosi and Reid are demanding.

Last Online
    @
    ^It is in italics,….not mine.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    ^ americablog, then? How left is it?

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Watch the contempt...

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    In another take on the Obamamessiah's rant, an angry BO lashes out at Republicans. “I am not an ideologue.”

Or a crook...?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    ^He did do pretty good,....in a hostile environment
    You won't see the Republicans allow that to happen again, unless they are dumber than they appear to be, which is hard to imagine. Obama walked into their joint and knocked flat every dimwitted Republican Congresscritter (is there any other kind these days?) who stood up to challenge him- no teleprompters, no earpiece, no notes (well, the Repugs had notes), and no gloves. Not a single Republican looked like he even belonged in the same ring with Obama. Not only that, but Obama remained charming and graceful the entire time he was spanking his adversaries like the petty, infantile punks they are. If Tom Pence is the intellectual leader of the Republicans they might consider replacing him with Bush or Cheney, who at least had the decency to make it clear that in the end they don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. It's just kind of sad when someone, for example Ryan (who at least took his medicine like a good boy) or Pence, manages to look both earnest and woefully ill-equipped for debate.

Seriously, if any of the Republicans on this board have even a modicum of intelligence (and it seems that one or two might) it may be time for a little soul-searching, because your party has never looked more pathetic than it did last night. It's really not good for the country to have such an otiose opposition. Maybe you can find some ideas here Red Elephant

Oh, and would you assholes stop saying "Democrat" Party? It's Democratic, as you know, no matter what your Central Committee wants you to say.
    “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” Dorothy Parker

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    I just watched the whole Q&A thing. Great political theater and I got the distinct feeling that Obama will come out as having the better night of it, he was methodical, calm and quite precise in dismantling the questions and replying to them.

The whole teleprompter talking point should die now too since he was speaking off the cuff, but we know it won't.

Hopefully the GOP will put somebody (Palin? Bachmann? Jindal? Steele? Anybody?) up in front of 140 Dems for a similar Q&A soon; in fact they might have to unless they want to be seen as licking their wounds or pouting.
    bibo ergo sum
    If you hear the thunder be happy - the lightening missed.
    This time.

Page 127 of 296 FirstFirst ... 2777117119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135137177227 ... LastLast

Thread Information