Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM

Alternatives to Arab airlines BKK- UK

I've been flying this route pretty regularly, enjoying the service, new terminal in Dubai and racking up the points but found their seats to be very uncomfortable as the base swings out and up slightly when reclining putting pressure on the backs of your legs. It's the worst seating I've had.

Now I discovered they put an extra seat in each row, packing another 40+ souls into economy and that has just killed it for me.

I never minded stopping in Dubai to stretch my legs and usually got a good nap in the second leg (the first taken up by seeing what is on tv!) and now they have their own terminal it's good not having to be bussed. I f**king hate having to be bussed around an airport!

I just flew Qatar as an alternative and everythings as good as Emirates and they don't cram another seat in each row. I think Etihad is the same but I'm thinking it may be better to just go direct as stopping in the UAE and getting bussed around is bollocks.

Any recommendations? Work pays so I may be able to pay more but a lot more wil raise a red flag in the office!

( I see Emirates are now using the A380 on the DUB-BKK leg so maybe better)
    Fahn Cahn's

Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Qantas business is still good BKK -LHR

Cattle is shocking.

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Actually, Emirates Business Class isn't that comfortable. I find the seats too narrow as well but they are the best choice on the route I'm on lately. Too bad Gulf Air isn't around anymore - I loved their service. BA rejects for stewardess and a good laugh too!
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    I see Singapore BKK - LHR for 44k THB, about 1k THB more than emirates and direct to LHR on the A380 from Sing. I can then fly CM to Sing to hook up. Looked at some reviews, seems the seating is ok on A380's and Singapore's service is legendary...

(just saw flight prices from CM-Sing...Yikes!!!)
    Last edited by Bung; 15-12-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Last Online
    @
    I'm going home on Thai this week. dreading it, but I don't pay or decide.....

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    I just flew back fromNZ with Thai and thought it was very good. Comfortable.

68 K THB to the UK online with them though....Do you know how much yours was Bobcock?

Last Online
    @
    just over 51,000 for me, wife and oldest boy and just over 43,000 for my youngest.

The problem with thai is they put the shittiest old hardware on the London route. they know they can sell it so they treat the route with contempt.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Always fly EVA direct to London. Modern aircraft, good price and short flight compared to making a stop over.

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Another vote for EVA from me too. I normally fly economy and it is fine but last year Mrs and I flew business to London with EVA and it was very nice.

Last Online
    23-11-2013 @ 12:33 PM
    You could try Malaysian Airlines... BKK to LHR with a stop-off in KL. I flew MA into Taipei on business recently. I was well looked after, to be sure. Can't vouch for economy (what I normally fly, btw). You could also try Sri Lankan or Aeroflot .

I usually use this website for pricing things out and then try to find the same price on travelocity or whatever. This site gives you the booking details so you could theoretically take it to a travel agent and they could get the ticket for you.

ITA Software: Login

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-07-2015 @ 01:49 AM
    Always use Etihad now. There is no other airline offering the same level of service at the same prices, the bonus being they are nearly always one of the cheapest as well.

Hello World
    Last Online
    @
    Most of the Euro carriers are much more expensive than the Arab ones. I checked a few days ago with SAS and their flight was close to double that of Singapore.
    Flown Emirates mostly but used qatar last time. Apart from missing the connecting flight due to a delay in BKK they were fine, put us in a hotel in Doha for the delay, something like 11 hrs.

Most of my friend fly with Air Valium so they couldnt give a monkeys as long as they end up where they want to go.
    The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    ^ Heh, I always manage to bum a zanex or two for my long hauls and most times get 6-7 hours solid sleep in and feel great when you wake up. They should hand them out at check in....

I flew Qatar this time, it was ok just not quite up there with Emirates but they don't rip you off with seating. Actually I think it was Etihad I was thinking of as an alternative but booked Qatar instead!

That EVA sounds interesting, I had no idea they flew that way, I used them a bit going the other way. So they are comfortable, have in seat entertainment and good (read edible) food then? What do they use 747's? Last time I flew with them I thought their fleet to be old.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    That EVA sounds interesting, I had no idea they flew that way, I used them a bit going the other way. So they are comfortable, have in seat entertainment and good (read edible) food then? What do they use 747's? Last time I flew with them I thought their fleet to be old.
    Yep, in seat entertainment and a modernised fleet : B777s and A330s.

EVA Airways ? International airfare tickets, Taipei airfare and Bangkok airfare tickets, with destination specials including on your flight to Bangkok or our Saigon flight

My 75 year old mother just flew out Elite class for a bigger seat and was very happy with the extra leg room and the good service.

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    Interesting...Better to fly straight from BKK-London. Thanksfor the link.

Last Online
    @
    I'd vote for EVA, cheaper than Thai but my company don't eem to understand that......they just book me on Thai....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    My mum flew with EVA and she didn't moan about them, so I guess they were OK.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    going on thai tomorrow! the business class is ok (although I like the flat beds better)...I know BA flys the route also - but is usually alot more expensive than thai

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    As long as they haven't gone on strike! We got about 3 people screwed up about that but got on Virgin. They have put on extra flights which is a PR coup for them at this time of year. Pity tey don't operate BKK-LON

Quote Originally Posted by danno5
    I know BA flys the route also

Thread Information