Whopping Member
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM

Wiping the floor with the Catholic Church

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, as you all know, and I caught the end of a debate on the BBC the other day which was thoroughly entertaining. I've searched the BBC website for it, with no luck, but then I found it at the link below in five parts.

Basically, Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry are up against some Bishop and Anne Widdecome. Obviously a very fair contest.

*snigger*

Is The Catholic Church A Force For Good In The World? (And Do The New Atheists Persuade Anyone?) « Camels With Hammers
    The sleep of reason brings forth monsters.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    That was a fun debate but hardly a fair one, you got to wonder, what were the BBC thinking of putting Muppet's like Ann Widdecombe and John Onaiyekan up against a couple of Sharp

minds like Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens?

Admittedly Fry and Hitchens had common sense, rationality and a couple of thousand years of Catholic church fuvk ups with which to

spank their opponents with, but still not a fair fight, had they gotten a couple of pot smoking hod carriers up there instead the God squad might have had a chance, but only if the Hoddies

were really stoned.

Watching Ann Widdecombe squirm in her closing argument was nice, and as for John Onatripagain, well he was just laughable.

Last Online
    07-04-2013 @ 10:58 PM
    I thoroughly enjoyed it...especially the size of the swing voters...Although it was pretty obvious watching them in the palm of SF's hands...Oooooh Matron!!...wonder what else has been there!!

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    I found it a bit disappointing, there wasn't really a debate. There was a vote at the beginning, 4 speeches, a bit if fluff and then another vote.

The bishop spouting the usual BS platitudes and Widdecombe spouting the usual BS family values crap. Fry was too subjective and Hitchens never seemed to get out of first gear.

Why pick on the catholic church? All religions are equally ridiculous imho.

I'd much rather watch Hitchens or Dawkins go up against a professor of theology or something, I am sure the catholic church can provide better protagonists for their side than some Nigerian scammer and a crackpot like Widdecombe.

The supporters of that motion brought knives to a gunfight, the result was a foregone conclusion.
    bibo ergo sum
    If you hear the thunder be happy - the lightening missed.
    This time.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-12-2022 @ 12:25 PM
    I saw it twice and both times the Catholic church lost.
    Thing is their that poweful they just don't give a shit.

Out there...
    Last Online
    @
    ^^

Never a truer word said.

Not going to watch it. What's the point? The religious imbeciles spout forth their formulaic bullshit, tried and tested on the weak and feebleminded innumerable times.

They'll never have anything new to say, as there is not nor will there ever be anything new to say. God is highly unlikely to make a guest appearance anytime soon.

So, the mindless zombies will nod thoughtlessly in agreement, with the things they already vacuously agree with. Unquestioning, enslaved. The rest of us will seek to discuss reality and attempt, fruitlessly, to persuade them away from their preconceived, indurate notions.

Thus it will forever be.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

Thread Information