Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    30-08-2011 @ 09:42 AM

current construction cost in thailand

Can anyone give me a ball park figure? I plan to build a house near Khorat. I already have property. Cement floor, all with tile, concret block walls finished and painted. Windows and doors western style. Living room/dinning room combination. Kitchen western style (no freezer, dishwasher, garbage disposal)Only double stainless sink, counter and cabinets, refer, range, walls partly tilled in kitchen. Two bed rooms and 2 bath rooms. Walls tilled in bathrooms. Western style toilet, sink w/cabinet and shower area. No tub. All I think should be average quality. I am not rich man who wants a golden castle, however, I want to live in a real house not a nipa hut or shack.

I need to know the average cost per sq meter for a home as I described above. At present I have no real idea as to cost except, my wife called a contractor and got a turn key price of B4,500 per sq meter which he stated was for an average quality home.

Last Online
    @
    4,500baht per sqm could maybe make you an average Thai home, though I doubt it.
    Double that and you'll get an average western home.

Last Online
    01-11-2009 @ 11:49 AM

Way out of date now: 2009 Thailand construction costs

Quote Originally Posted by lom View Post
    4,500baht per sqm could maybe make you an average Thai home, though I doubt it.
    Double that and you'll get an average western home.
    Way out of date now and even then that was very low end poor quality.

Construction costs in Thailand are now in 2009 more in the region of 15,000 (reasonable)-30,000 (good quality with some good specs) for a decent quality, good standard finish of house complete with kitchens bathrooms, air cons, tiles and good quality products.

8,500-10,000 will get the lowest quality and lowest standard. Luxury would be 25,000 upwards. But all depends on the house and what you chose to put in it and materials to use. Also what you are prepared to accept as finish and what you include.

You can not generalise in construction on price without specific knowledge of architects drawings, materials used, finish products and specs. Impossible. Each house is different.

Yes if you have built homes before and been in construction try to build one yourself with a team of people who don't speak a word of the same language. Nightmare waiting to happen. But anyone who has a decent career or has made a good life for themselves my advice is pay a bit more and get a good job done by a professional company. The low end is not good here. Full of horror stories and problems. 30 years has taught me something.

A very common and bad mistake is for people to quote costs per sqm metre or average costs. Been in construction 30 years and worked on billion dollar projects in Dubai, built small 2 bedroom bunaglows in Thailand, luxury developments in Phuket and built homes in the UK for 15 years and it is impossible to guage construction costs without full finished architects construction drawings and a full understanding of the specifications/finish. Any experienced construction guy will know this.

My advice is speak to a professional company and save yourself a lot of wasted money, bad quality and problems. I would never build a home here in Thailand without the help of a proper limited company with experience, an office, a track record and a guy who has been in the construction business for at least 15 years. Go with a proper company and save yourself all the heartache and miserable problems that do occur here by going the cheap route. I would not wish it upon anyone. It's probably the best bit of advice I can give and it could save you alot of trouble and wasted money. A home is a big expense so don't risk it with inexperienced people who are just doing it for a quick buck. Go to a professional construction company. Good luck.
    Last edited by georgehoward1960; 28-10-2009 at 07:52 PM.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    You bumped a thread that is over 3 years old to tell us it was out of date, thank god for geniuses like you.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by georgehoward1960
    Construction costs in Thailand are now in 2009 more in the region of 15,000 (reasonable)-30,000 (good quality with some good specs) for a decent quality, good standard finish of house complete with kitchens bathrooms, air cons, tiles and good quality products.
    seem way too high, those figures

I reckon around B7000 per sqm for the basic house, then add all the tiles, painting and fittings etc

Last Online
    21-03-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    You bumped a thread that is over 3 years old to tell us it was out of date, thank god for geniuses like you.
    Thought I was suffering déjà vu had to check the posting date just to be sure.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    no malice suggested, just my experience

it is always best to price the basic building cost as the add-ons I listed can vary enormously; there is little work cost attached to them, just mainly the cost price

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:52 PM
    I are on my way to build up a house in Khoen Kaen around 240 sqm and so far I have spend around 1 milijon THB and the house are very close to finish.Most important is to have good peopel to build the house,and then buy all material for your self ( but if you are a farang ) the price will bee doubbel up.I'm lucky to have a thai wife who can do every purchas of the material.My first house i build in KK was a company who build it up and it cost me lot of money and the quality was not good,the roof was not water proff and many other things.But later on I have to rebuild the house and this time I was lucky to find right peopel from Ban Fang,they did a execelent work.So I ask them if they can build up a bigger house with good quality and a good price.And they have done it now,so if you buy everything for your self and find trustful peopel you can keep the cost on a low level. Go to my Gallery and look to the pics of my house
    Last edited by sssfqt; 29-10-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    sssfqt

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sssfqt
    a house in Khoen Kaen around 240 sqm and so far I have spend around 1 milijon THB
    so that is reasonable, at about B4000 per sqm

as you say, you can save money by sourcing your own materials and project managing the job yourself

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    04-04-2023 @ 10:03 PM
    just worked my house out,7000bht for 288sq mt. thats 2million with good white tiled roof and solid Block construction, will post some photos near future, Land only $5000Au for 3000sqmt next ta Wang river, nice view and no neighbors,[not like Bkk[at]Bangna!

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    A very common and bad mistake is for people to quote costs per sqm metre or average costs.
    I just thought these 2 sentences from the same post deserved to be put next to each other

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    8,500-10,000 will get the lowest quality and lowest standard. Luxury would be 25,000 upwards.
    A very common and bad mistake is for people to quote costs per sqm metre or average costs.
    And these 2

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I know, a very bad mistake

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    ^obviously not a bad mistake if he does it though

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by mingmong View Post
    just worked my house out,7000bht for 288sq mt. thats 2million with good white tiled roof and solid Block construction, will post some photos near future, Land only $5000Au for 3000sqmt next ta Wang river, nice view and no neighbors,[not like Bkk[at]Bangna!
    do you have a table tennis room?

Last Online
    Depends what you are building and what is included: The Valuers Association of Thailand figures are considerably higher than all the figures you guys are quoting so guess you are all building low end quality. Not everyone has the time and have careers so try and come here live in an upcountry location and build a home is not possible. If one of course works.

Last Online
    My words were to help people. I think I explained that it is not the best thing to do is to quote figures, but if you are then be far more realistic and maybe have a construction background. I have built two homes here a few years back where the cost per sqm was 47,5000 baht. Why ? That might seem high but not for what was used and done. Because my friend who had the house built is a highly successful IT guy and wanted the best. high standard products, quality spa baths, German kitchen, quality tiles and so on. In fact he rolled it and made 5m baht over waht it cost him. Then I built a home for 15,000 baht per sqm for myself. But my choices were more modest. Its all in the architects plans, what you want to finish the house off with, products etc. No one house is the same unless designed and created the same. It is why quoting figures can be dangerous and I do not like doing it: The point of my piece was to say it is not a good idea but if you are going to, then lets make sure we are realistic and explain it to those who do not know, what is realistic. One can not generalise costs and each home is different. But most homes in Thaialdn built for foreiners are alot more than 7000 baht per sqm. Most are in the range I suggested. How do I know: because I live and work in the industry and have done for a long time. No one can know actual costs until they have a finished set of architects drawings and they know what they are going to use Could be 7500 baht or it could be 35,000. Do you think house in Phuket selling for 120m baht cost 7000 baht per sqm. No of course not. Each house is different.
    Last edited by georgehoward1960; 01-11-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    This might be interesting

Last Online
    18-11-2012 @ 04:26 AM

same same

just had house built in klong pie near pak chong , took about 4 to 5 months to start n finished . was in the building game back in uk so i know what i wanted and how to do .... went and got all materiels myself / made deal with builders yard supply / must do / got thai builder , agreed price paid in 3 stages , nothing upfront .at the time it was a fkin nightmare , all i got was this is how they build in thailand , sacked builder about 6 times , but next day they would turnup again but everytime they understood a bit more of how and what i wanted .../ me think they take the spiss / got different thai guy for elec/ pluming .. / very good / ended up with 2 large bedrooms , living room , wet room , kitchen , and utility room ......... all built with red brick .. all told cost approx with price of land 1. 200,000 .bht .. if poss it would help if you had thai who you trust and could help with the thai speak ... done house plans myself so saved on that . if you use company will cost you more .. used local small builder , like i said to start off with a fkin nightmare but in the end it worked out ok .......... good luck with your little venture .....

Last Online
    21-03-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy View Post
    This might be interesting

^^^ ^^^
    jandajoy pass me some of the popcorn and is that a can of Leo I see. Just goes to show our members who have built and have showed all the costs must be wrong. I would like to see this 475000 sq. meter house.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I have built two homes here a few years back where the cost per sqm was 47,5000 baht. Why ?
    dunno, why? any pics of the palaces?

Then I built a home for 15,000 baht per sqm for myself. But my choices were more modest
    as said, that is high end, even including expensive imported fittings

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Its all in the architects plans, what you want to finish the house off with, products etc.
    no, architects plans do not have to state which tiles, which kitchen etc, unless you have no idea of what you want and no real design knowledge

mine, and many others, have plans to build the house, then choose what to fit when the time comes...a different approach

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Its all in the architects plans, what you want to finish the house off with, products etc.
    no, architects plans do not have to state which tiles, which kitchen etc, unless you have no idea of what you want and no real design knowledge

mine, and many others, have plans to build the house, then choose what to fit when the time comes...a different approach
    Architects always incorporate the preferences of the owner. If the interior finishes and fittings are on the plans the results will be more integrated. In kitchens it is especially important to know where electrical will be located so
    that revisions do not have to be made later.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    If the interior finishes and fittings are on the plans the results will be more integrated. In kitchens it is especially important to know where electrical will be located so
    if you specify a cheap cooker, or a top of the range hob, the electrics will be the in same place. same same everything else

The search for tiles, bathrooms, kitchens etc can be done whilst the building is going on. It is pointless specifying everything before you have a house to put it in, unless you are not involved with the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    that revisions do not have to be made later.
    revisions are always made later!!
    I have reported your post

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    The reason that there are so many interior abortions out there is because the interior design is not conceived and thought through at the time of the architectural design. You don't have to take my word for it but I have seen the results countless times in my career. I know residential design tends to be more on the fly here in Thailand and a solution can usually be ground out. Contractor's love change orders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information