Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

KW visits Shao Lin Temple Monastery

Any martial artist afficindo will know of the stories of martial arts orgininating with Chinese biddhist monks in the Shao Lin Temple, now, despite the veracity or not of this legend, Shao Lin Temple Monastery is a well known, though perhaps not well visited place in China.

Having studied Kung Fu for a number of years, I was very interested in visiting the alleged birth place of Kung Fu.

Shao Lin Temple is located about 80km westwards of Zheng Zhou in the middle of China....

We had previously visited Xi'an, so then a bus and a minicbus to ZhengZhou, and then to dengfeng, staying in local accomodation.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Shao Lin Temple is located in Shao Lin Sha, a mountainious region. Apparently, lots of local tourists are bused in and out each day, but we stayed in the town and visited the temple early in the morning, and then went for a walk in the moutains surronding it during the day, we then returned in the late afternoon to watch the lines and lines of martial arts classes performing, mostly Wu Shu, as far as I could tell. Unfortunately I didnt think to take pictures of these young children, hoping to become the next Bruce Li or Jackie Chan.

Last Online
    @
    Nice one. But where are the pics, Grasshopper?

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Patience.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The monastery itself is located slightly out of town, (a short walk) in a picturesque pine forest.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    a lot of it has been restored, and other parts still in process....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Just inside the entrance

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Last Online
    @
    That's more like it. Your Kung Fu is strong, Grasshopper... Ok, moderately strong then.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    plenty of these Chinese demons around.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    a lucky chinese turtle, touch it for wealth.

this monk liked junior KW so much he gave him a lucky jade pendant

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson
    Gee, lucky you reminded me, otherwise I would never have remembered to include the pics, imagine that., a picture thread without pics!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson
    Gee, lucky you reminded me, otherwise I would never have remembered to include the pics, imagine that., a picture thread without pics!
    Sarcasm is not the way to Enlightenment, Grasshopper.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

this apprently says Shao Lin Temple

There were these diaramas around the temple depicting various martial moves and warrior monks

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Outside is the pagoda forest, representing different monks. I think.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    then a short walk (well, all day really) around the mountains overlooking the temple. We started by catching a lift.

shitload of stairs too.

I didnt take any pictures, but a friendly chinese fella invited us into his house for tea.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The temple itself did not appear to have any more martial arts going on in it. Mainly a tourist attraction, with monks restoring it and prayers.

The town nearby had 3 or 4 schools of about 2000 students each, they are usually about 8-10 years old and live there. the conditions looked pretty grim.

The lessons that I saw, involved a class of students - 20-50 at a time, standing in a line, while one at a time they each performed one move of a form, then ran to the back of the line to repeat, while given a grunt or so from the Sifu present.

But really, most of this Kung Fu is not really Kung Fu, it is Wu Shu, which is more of a dance inspired by Kung Fu than a real fighting art, it looks good on stage though.

DaffyDuck
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    The monastery itself is located slightly out of town, (a short walk) in a picturesque pine forest.

WTF? THis doesn't look like it was depicted in 'Kung Fu'? Where's Kwai Chang Caine???

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-10-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
    Where's Kwai Chang Caine???
    In some Bangkok hotel with his balls tied to his chin . . . only a man well versed in Kng Fu could accomplish this . . . as well as swipe three rocks from a blind octogenarian's hand.

Nice photos, KW!

I am in Jail

Last Online
    04-12-2009 @ 01:24 PM
    Beautiful pictures, wish I was there again. Can you train hopeless individuals such as myself in the fine arts of Kung Fu then?

Banned for deleting Gallery
    Last Online
    @
    Interesting, but is there more than one such shaolin temple? Recall seeing a BBC documentary a couple of years ago about westerners staying at a shaolin temple and there was lots of teaching going on.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy dog
    Interesting, but is there more than one such shaolin temple? Recall seeing a BBC documentary a couple of years ago about westerners staying at a shaolin temple and there was lots of teaching going on.
    i think there is more than one. I recall hearing there was a southern one and a central one.

aaah., hang on,

Martial arts groups from all over the world have made donations for the upkeep of the temple and grounds, and are subsequently honored with carved stones near the entrance of the temple.
    In the past, many people have tried to capitalize on the Shaolin Monastery by building their own schools on Mount Song. However, the Chinese government eventually outlawed this, and so the schools all moved to the nearby towns, such as Dengfeng (登封).

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    Nice thread Willy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information