Last Online
    @

Sauna in Isaan !

A week ago, I was told by my wife, that now she had found a two-seater sauna costing around 20000 baht, and she caught my attention.

Thing is that she is going to give birth in september, and apparently she needs to clean her body afterwards.

I am totally blank about this, and if anybody could fill me in on this, I would be grateful.

That it is a two-seater really scares me.
    How long and what is it good for ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    just built a fire under the bed , that's no doubt what her gran had ....................

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-10-2016 @ 10:13 PM
    We were all prepared for this for after our son was born, but had to give it a miss because she eventually had a caesarian. The doctor refused to do a natural delivery, which turned out to be the right decision as he came out at 4.1kg.

Basically, the procedure is that after giving birth, the mother basically lives in the sauna atmosphere for three months (??) to rid her body of the poisons accumulated over the last nine months (and the excess body fat!!)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-10-2016 @ 10:13 PM
    WE had a little area set up out the back. We bought a couple of braziers and a shitload of charcoal. One good addition was the low-set bamboo bed she was going to rest on. That got a lot of use.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    just built a fire under the bed , that's no doubt what her gran had ....................
    Apart from our gran not sleeping in a bed, I am told that it has something to do with "sweating" out the nasty stuff, before you can rejoin society.
    I am not sure that it is just some symbolic thing.
    Our obstetrician has told me, that she does the same.

Maybe I could ask her.

Last Online
    @
    Thanks Jo
    3 months !
    Yes, I have been told, that it has something to do about the body-fat aswell. (Take care body)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-11-2023 @ 06:03 AM
    The wife bought some kind of one-person box type of sauna. You step inside, sit down on a bench and close the zip. There is what to me looks like a rice cooker placed underneath the bench with a soup of herbs and lumps of sulfur. This is cranked up, and then she sits there steaming until she can't take it anymore. The whole device appears reasonably well built, and cost around 3,900 baht. They are advertised in every issue of Koosang Koosom (last page).

Phone number is 00-2897-5580-7 - no web page, apparently. The company is called Kaew design.
    Any error in tact, fact or spelling is purely due to transmissional errors...

Last Online
    07-04-2024 @ 03:33 AM
    You can buy them in Lotus and Big C. We've had one for a year now, and Mrs JYY has never used it.

Developing Member

Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 12:20 PM
    Is this a Thai thing? Sauna for 3 months after having a baby? Never heard of it.

Last Online
    @
    Thank you all

Thread Information