Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I am in Jail

Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 12:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Trying to isolate and fix your problem is likely an exercise in futility and expect will only last for a bit before another problem comes up.
    or this one was never properly eliminated..

RIP
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingForce
    that is, bare none about the most ignorant advice any breathing, thinking human being could make..
    OH It seems as if the genius thinks you will still have the power on while the valves isolating the pump are closed, no wonder he thought I was going to buy a ship load of used Travel trailers in the US and have them shipped to him, and even tho he was going to give me the first one ready for the hyway.

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    12-06-2021 @ 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    If I turn off (or is it on) tap number 1 the pump just runs continuously. I could undestand it if it was filling up a water tank, but I don't seem to have one, so I guess it's pumpin water back into the mains system or something equally as daft.
    I have the same problem. There is a small water tank below the pump (motor) that is kept under pressure. When you open a tab, water flows under pressure, and the small water tank is automatically refilled. If you have a leak, the pump will keep running, and that's not good. If you have no leak, the water pump will run only when you open a tab, as to keep the pressure maximized in the small water tank. If you open many tabs at the same time, then the pump will run continuously. If too long, or the small water tank is empty, it could actually break. That's what I have been told by a Thai engineer not sure if he was right or not about the small tank or he meant the big tank, which only seems to serve as a backup when public water is disrupted.

RIP
    Last Online
    NO, Fly, as long as the motor is not over heating and is pumping water it can run for days, but if pressure comes up then it will work harder and create more heat and it could burn its self up if that continues, thats the only way it could "Break"

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    ^ ok, but it could break under continuous operations ? almost broke mine when the big tank was empty and the public water system was not going fast enough to refill the big tank.

So I assume that the constant action of the water pump when you open a water tab is perfectly normal ?

RIP
    Last Online
    ok, but it could break under continuous operations ? almost broke mine when the big tank was empty and the public water system was not going fast enough to refill the big tank.

So I assume that the constant action of the water pump when you open a water tab is perfectly normal
    Yes, if the big reserve tank went dry and your pump was running but with no water then it would burn up the pump and then the motor, but electric motors can run for long periods of time, Fans do this as well as some other electricsl powered things, well pumps run for days during irrigation times.
    I know of big turbine pumps that supply water to large circle irrigation systems that pump 2000 gallons a minute to a 1 kilometer circle that irrigates a field of corn that is 2 kilometers across and takes the circle almost a week to cover the field and makes many trips around during an irrigation cycle.

And yes when a tap is open then the water pressure would be low and that would make the pump run, and if you are using less water than the pump moves then it will cycle on and off due to pressure building and decreasing.

I'm in Jail
    Last Online
    ^ ok, thanks for the clarification, make sense

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingForce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    From the pic you posted there are plenty of indications you might be sucking air into the system at one of the many PVC joints or around the gaskets.
    you're right the plumbing is crap, but if he had any air leaks in the system since the system is a closed system at any time the pump was off it would leak water as the entire system is under pressure...the pictures don't show any of that..

I think he meant on the inlet side; then the pump would shut off normally but would not work very well when operating

I had a small crack in an inlet pipe; the pump appeared to work properly but the pressure was down. Gradually, as the crack got bigger, the pump functioned less and less well. The pumpman wanted to sell us a nice new one, but the one we had was good, running well and no problems (apart from the pressure loss). I eventually noticed the crack, repaired it and all was fine again.
    I have reported your post

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    I think he meant on the inlet side
    "since the system is a closed system at any time the pump was off it would leak water as the entire system is under pressure"

The 'it' refers to the plumbing not the pump.
    The inlet plumbing will be under mains pressure when the pump is off

RIP
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    From what I understand is at most times not a real positive pressure if any at all.
    So I would not count on it leaking to much as water has much more viscosity than air.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang
    From what I understand is at most times not a real positive pressure if any at all.
    Marmite did say that the Midget had a shower and the pump didn't come on so I think there must be mains pressure there sometimes

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post
    I think he meant on the inlet side
    "since the system is a closed system at any time the pump was off it would leak water as the entire system is under pressure"

The 'it' refers to the plumbing not the pump.
    correct.. Thank you for your confirmation. Though it is not just exclusively the plumbing, the entire system is all under pressure at any given point when the pump is off due to the mains pressure coupled with the tank pressure on the effluent side, so the pump would also show any leaks. The one possible exception to that is a shaft seal leak on the pump there are times when it may only suck air while the pump is in operation and not be an issue when the pump is off as it could have a weak spring that can not hold it properly in place while in operation allowing wobble but still seals while not operating..

Though the mains pressure is not very high anywhere here it should still show some leakage if there was any, albeit very slight system seal failure anywhere, more likely stronger leaking at night when the pressure increases obviously..
    Last edited by DrivingForce; 23-03-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 09:40 AM
    I had a small crack in an inlet pipe; the pump appeared to work properly but the pressure was down. Gradually, as the crack got bigger, the pump functioned less and less well. The pumpman wanted to sell us a nice new one, but the one we had was good, running well and no problems (apart from the pressure loss). I eventually noticed the crack, repaired it and all was fine again.
    Same with me. The couple hundred baht to replace the plumbing is well worth the investment to eliminate it as a potential problem. Marmers lives in a village. If his is anything like mine, assuming the inlet side is always pressurized may be erroneous. My inlet pressure varies from very poor to none. This is why I have a holding tank.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect,"

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Same with me. The couple hundred baht to replace the plumbing is well worth the investment to eliminate it as a potential problem. Marmers lives in a village. If his is anything like mine, assuming the inlet side is always pressurized may be erroneous. My inlet pressure varies from very poor to none. This is why I have a holding tank.
    like you said it could use replacing on that I agree as I said before it is crap..but likely just to get more crap....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    like you said it could use replacing on that I agree as I said before it is crap..but likely just to get more crap....
    very illuminating, thanks for your expert advice

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    OK, I'm going to drain the pump today by loosening up the outlet pipe from the pump (I shall of course turn off the tap near the meter and the one on the house side of the pump). I just hope the gasket isn't too fucked.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    gasket? you should be lucky

have fun

I am in Jail

Last Online
    20-06-2012 @ 03:24 PM
    Fok, ur still foking around with the pump?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    very illuminating, thanks for your expert advice
    well there's truth in that, ever heard of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" well when you're trying to diagnose a problem you don't make wholesale changes without having a specific goal as you can create more problems than you began with..

Until the plumbing has been diagnosed as the source of the problem, or the problem has been eliminated I wouldn't do anything to possibly create more issues..It's that simple..otherwise you're just a blind man groping around in the dark, that's the primary difference between professionals and amateurs and why you pay for quality professionals.. You were lucky in your occasion but that's not proper diagnostic procedure..

RIP
    Last Online
    More than likely is a rubber gasket, so be gentle with it and you should be Ok just to add some air to the tank.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    did you remember to bleed it?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    did you remember to bleed it?
    Read the thread, dipshit.

RIP
    Last Online
    Well??

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I couldn't undo the pipe coming from the pump, so I'll get a local builder to take a look as I think it'll be better for him to put a tap after the pump so I can drain it easier in the future.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I couldn't undo the pipe coming from the pump, so I'll get a local builder to take a look as I think it'll be better for him to put a tap after the pump so I can drain it easier in the future.
    Not a bad idea Marmers

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information